60 healthy lunch ideas for work- save yourself money and eat healthier by making your own lunch. Get a ton of lunch ideas including cold salads, hot lunches, granola bars, snacks and soups! Simple and healthy lunch recipes.
Are you stuck in a work lunch rut? Then look no further, because you’re about to find a TON of healthy lunch ideas!
I used to find myself completely lost for work lunch ideas when we didn’t have dinner left-overs, and it led to me buying lunch more often than I’d like.
Lunch packing tips
- Plan ahead- make sure to include your lunches in your meal plan. Often we will plan for dinner leftovers to eat for lunch the next day and that goes on the plan. See How to Write a Meal Plan
- Use the right equipment- I personally love these 2 cup meal prep containers, but 3 compartment meal prep containers and 1 pint jars are also on repeat. See The Best Lunch Containers for more ideas!
- Keep condiments separate- (unless stated on the recipe). This is usually a good bet when it comes to salads etc. I like layering salads in 1 pint jars, or storing dressings in these condiment containers
- Set a reminder- forgetting your lunch is the WORST! Set a reminder on Alexa, your iPhone, or even just leave a post it on the door. See 5 Ways to Use Amazon Echo in the Kitchen
These healthy lunch ideas for work are nutritious, delicious, will travel well, and will last in the fridge until lunch time! Here’s some lunch inspiration!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
This post covers a LOT! Click on any of the links below to go directly to that section
Salads do not necessarily mean lettuce. All of these salads have a few things in common: healthy, delicious, they have some staying power, and they are portable! Perfect for lunches!
Meal prep it- Keep salad dressings separate until just prior to serving (unless otherwise directed).
Hot Lunch Ideas (Meal Prep Bowls)
Cook these lunch recipes ahead and re-heat at lunch! These hot lunches are going to make your lunch feel a bit more of a meal. These recipes are portable, healthy and have a good dose of protein to keep you feeling full.
Meal prep it- Many of these hot lunch ideas are freezer-friendly (check directions on each recipe for storage info). Freeze for up to 3 months and thaw as needed.
Best lunch containers- For hot lunches, I like my 2 cup meal prep containers.
Granola Bars & Energy Bites
Hands up if you spend too much money on granola bars! Me me me!! I would much prefer to make my own from scratch, and I’m feeling inspired by all of these creative granola bars and energy bites.
Meal prep it- Granola bars are often fridge and freezer-friendly (refer to storage directions in each individual recipe)! Freeze for 1-3 months, or store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Best lunch containers- We freeze energy bites and granola bars for a few hours on a baking sheet, then transfer to reusable stasher bags or 6 cup meal prep containers.
Muffins & Snacks:
Let’s call this the ‘misc’ category! Here’s some healthy and delicious muffins and snacks!
Meal prep it- These snacks can all be prepped ahead, but storage directions vary greatly. Refer to each recipe for specific instructions!
Sandwiches & Wraps
Sandwiches and wraps…these seem like they would keep in the fridge until lunch, perhaps leaving the condiments separate until just prior to serving.
Meal prep it- Sandwiches and wraps can be prepared the same day you serve them OR you can store the filling separately. For some of these wraps & pitas, I heat the filling, then roll my wraps and fill the pita just before eating.
Probably my favorite type of lunch 🙂 If you have a good microwave-safe dish with a lid, they aren’t too difficult to transport to work. Heat them up in the microwave, and you have a healthy and delicious warm lunch!
Meal prep it- Cook a big batch ahead and portion out through the week. Leftovers can often be frozen for long term storage.
Best lunch containers- some options for soup include 20 oz meal mugs from Corningware, store in 1 pint mason jars, then reheat in bowls in the microwave, this super popular Crock Pot lunch warmer, and this 24 oz thermos.
I hope this post has inspired you with a whole bunch of new healthy lunch ideas!
Let me know if you try them.
Build Your Own Lunch Bowls & More Healthy Lunch Ideas For Work
Grains (1/2 cup of one of the following)
Protein (4 oz of one of the following)
- chicken breast
- ground beef
- black beans
Vegetables (1 cup of one of the following)
- slaw mix
- bell peppers
- roasted zucchini, cauliflower, brussels sprouts or broccoli
- cauliflower rice
- Combine 1/2 cup of cooked grains, 4 oz of protein, 1 cup of vegetables and 1 tablespoon of sauce/dressing in a 2 or 3 cup capacity storage container.
- You may wish to keep the sauce separate until you are ready to serve.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Enjoy hot or cold, as needed.