These turkey taco lunch bowls contain turkey taco meat, corn, brown rice, and a simple pico de gallo. Tons of flavor for little effort and your lunches will be ready for four days!
Are there any healthy foods that you dislike? For me, it’s brown rice.
I remember being so excited to embrace brown rice, but quickly became disenchanted when I realized it had to cook for forty minutes. And then even more disenchanted when I tasted my bland, dry brown rice.
I think that was ten years ago and I still can’t seem to shake those memories. But I decided to give it another try, because it is far less refined than white rice and retains a ton of healthy vitamins and nutrients. That plus it takes longer to digest which means you feel full for longer after eating it.
So I finally gave brown rice another try, and I’m so glad I did!
PSST! Looking for some lunch containers? These are my favorite!
Did my brown rice take forever to cook? Yes it did. But I cooked it in my rice cooker for a super hands off approach, and was rewarded with the softest brown rice! I added a touch of salt and some lime zest to liven things up.
This brown rice went straight into these turkey taco lunch bowls. Maybe we could call them burrito bowls? I dunno.
Whatever we call them, me likey!
I cooked up a batch of ground turkey with some taco seasoning, and chopped up a fresh tomato salsa.
I’m often leery of make ahead recipes that contain tomatoes because they will soften a lot by day four, but I don’t mind that one bit mixed in with these lunch bowls!
I completely loaded these bowls up with the tomato salsa…and some corn. Feel free to use what you have in your fridge!
Also: cheese. Not pictured, but a tablespoon or two is not a bad decision at all in these lunch bowls 😉
Not only are these bowls loaded with fresh veggies, but they are actually filling! Does anyone else get super annoyed when you get hungry an hour after lunch? I DO.
These turkey taco lunch bowls are so versatile! You can mix them up in so many ways:
- a couple tablespoons of shredded cheese
- swap the turkey for black beans (you may want to cook them up in some taco seasoning for the added flavor it gives)
- swap the fresh salsa for jarred
- add some yogurt or sour cream
- add crunchy cabbage, shredded carrots, or bell peppers. Clean out your fridge!
Alrighty. That’s it for today! Happy Monday!
More make ahead lunch recipes for us!
- how about some Meal Prep Pesto Chicken Pita Pockets for your lunch?
- or go for a protein-packed salad with these Chickpea, Barley and Butternut Squash Lunch Bowls
- or one of these Honey Sesame Chicken Lunch Bowls
Turkey Taco Meal Prep Bowls
- 3/4 cup brown rice (uncooked; may be swapped for quinoa or long grain white rice)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 lime (zested)
- 3/4 lb lean ground turkey (beef or chicken may be swapped)
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 jalapeno (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz can corn kernels (341 mL; drained)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (shredded)
- Cook brown rice according to package directions, adding the lime zest and salt to the cooking water. Allow to cool slightly before portioning out.
- Add turkey to a medium pan and cook over medium heat, breaking it up with a spatula until no longer pink (approximately 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the cooked meat, then add the water. Stir and simmer for a couple of minutes, until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before portioning out.
- Combine all salsa ingredients and toss together.
- To assemble lunch bowls, divide ingredients evenly between four 2-cup capacity meal prep containers.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- You may serve cold or warm up in the microwave before enjoying (see * notes)