These turkey taco meal prep bowls are made with juicy turkey taco meat, corn, pico de gallo and brown rice and are simple, but filling. Make them ahead for four delicious lunches.
Meal prep is the best way to ensure that you avoid wasting a whole bunch of money buying your lunch...some of my favorites include these honey sesame chicken bowls and these caprese chicken salad bowls. These turkey taco lunch bowls are perfect if you are craving Mexican food!
These meal prep bowls are not only one of the most popular meal prep recipes on Sweet Peas & Saffron, but one of my personal faves as well!
Inspired by a burrito bowl, but with turkey taco meat, brown rice, corn and a quick pico de gallo for a pretty and delicious meal.
Think of this as a really loose recipe that you can adapt with your favorite toppings.
Reasons you'll ♡ this recipe
- so tasty!
- they are simple to prep and make 4 lunches
- the recipe is easily adaptable
These meal prep bowls are super simple to prep, but it always helps to have a visual. Watch the video below to see exactly how this recipe comes together. You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Which ingredients do we need?
This recipe is highly adaptable and are loosely based on a burrito bowl. Here are the components:
- turkey taco meat- swap the turkey for ground beef, crumbled tofu, or your favorite protein. I used my homemade taco seasoning.
- brown rice- cooked in my rice cooker. See How to Cook Brown Rice. Swap with long grain white rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice.
- corn- from a can, frozen or fresh corn work as well
- pico de gallo- normally I don't love tomatoes in my meal prep but since it's meant to be somewhat 'juicy', it works well in this one!
- cheese- optional but recommended. I used shredded mozzarella!
Other toppings that would be great in this recipe?
- roasted sweet potato
- avocado slices (add just before serving)
- black beans
- bell peppers
Are these served hot or cold?
They are meant to be served cold, however you can certainly heat them up! If you do plan to heat, I might store the pico de gallo separate and add it in after heating through.
Can I use chicken?
Yes, you certainly can. I would cut the chicken into small pieces, sautee until cooked through, then add the taco seasoning + water to make the sauce.
Can I make this vegan?
Yes, you can! I would follow directions for the tofu taco 'meat' in this Tofu Tacos post.
What about low carb?
I would swap the rice for cauliflower rice (here's How to Make Cauliflower Rice!), swap the corn for bell peppers or your favorite lower carb veggie, and maybe add in some healthy fats like avocado to make it more filling.
More delicious meal prep ideas
- Cold Sesame Noodle Meal Prep Bowls
- Maple Ginger Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- Vegan Spring Roll Bowl Meal Prep
- Easy Buddha Bowls
- 38 Easy Lunch Meal Prep Recipes
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Turkey Taco Meal Prep Bowls
- ¾ cup brown rice (uncooked; may be swapped for quinoa or long grain white rice)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 lime (zested)
- ¾ lb lean ground turkey (beef or chicken may be swapped)
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 jalapeno (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup red onion (finely chopped)
- ½ lime (juiced)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 12 oz can corn kernels (341 mL; drained)
- ½ cup mozzarella (shredded)
- Cook brown rice according to package directions, adding the lime zest and salt to the cooking water. Allow to cool slightly before portioning out.
- Add turkey to a medium pan and cook over medium heat, breaking it up with a spatula until no longer pink (approximately 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the cooked meat, then add the water. Stir and simmer for a couple of minutes, until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before portioning out.
- Combine all salsa ingredients and toss together.
- To assemble lunch bowls, divide ingredients evenly between four 2-cup capacity meal prep containers.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- You may serve cold or warm up in the microwave before enjoying (see * notes)
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment