Crispy air fryer chickpeas are the tastiest and crunchiest snack you will find. Using the air fryer cuts the cook time down to 15 minutes, and they are so much crispier than in the oven! Vegan and gluten-free, these crispy roasted chickpeas are an awesome healthier snack.
I have always loved the concept of crispy roasted chickpeas, but I have often failed in execution. It always seems like some of them get crispy while others are still chewy. And still others are burned.
Not only that, but you have to wash and dry the chickpeas before roasting, and you have to roast them for quite awhile.
Well, enter the air fryer. GAME CHANGED.
No need to dry these chickpeas, and they are ready for your snacking pleasure in 15 minutes. Yup. 15 minutes!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
We purchased our air fryer in December and it has quickly become one of our favorite kitchen appliances.
Why buy an air fryer?
- With very little oil, we can get nice, crispy food
- It pre-heats so much quicker than an oven
- It cooks food quicker, too!
What are the downsides to the air fryer? I will admit to initially being disappointed with the small size of the air fryer. The air fryer itself is not small, but the basket inside is small. Most food you need to cook in batches (ie: chicken breasts, sweet potato tots, salmon patties and anything chip-shaped). However there are some exceptions to this rule; frozen french fries and these air fryer chickpeas being two of them!
How to make crispy air fryer chickpeas
It’s so simple!
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas
- Toss with olive oil and seasoning
- Cook at 390°F for 12-18 minutes, shaking them a few times during the cook process
How can I use these crispy roasted chickpeas? You could use them as a salad topper (try this Southwestern Kale Chickpea Salad), in tacos (they go awesomely well with cauliflower!), as part of a Buddha bowl, or just enjoy them as is.
How do I store these crispy roasted chickpeas? They keep better stored in a container with the lid off (I found this out by accident!). We store in a jar in the cupboard.
Tips for the absolute BEST crispy air fryer chickpeas
- This is the air fryer model I have
- you can use one of these seven seasoning blends to add different flavors to the chickpeas
- Looking for more air fryer recipes? Check out these Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Tots, these Thai Salmon Patties, or this post on How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Looking for more snack recipes? Check out this round up with 36+ Healthy Snack Recipes
Crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas
- 19 oz can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Heat air fryer to 390°F / 200°C.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas (no need to dry). Toss with olive oil and spices.
- Dump the whole batch of chickpeas in the air fryer basket. Cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking a couple of times.
- When chickpeas are cooked to your liking, remove from air fryer, taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in an open container.