This air fryer tofu is crispy, delicious, and cooked in just 13 minutes! Popular with kids and adults and an easy vegan recipe.
The air fryer is gaining popularity, and for good reason! You can get nice crispy food with a fraction of the oil, and you can cook things without turning on the oven (which is awesome in the summer!).
I thought it was time to share my air fryer tofu recipe with you guys!
This is the same recipe as my Easy Baked Tofu, but this air fryer tofu recipe is ready in a fraction of the time! While my baked tofu takes 45 minutes in the oven, this air fryer tofu is ready in just 13 minutes. Can you believe it?!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons to love this air fryer tofu
- it has SO MUCH FLAVOR and is even kid-friendly
- you don’t need to make a sauce or marinade, simply season with a few spices
- it cooks in just 13 minutes
How to make this tofu air fryer recipe
This tofu air fryer recipe is so easy to prepare and cook up!
- Press your tofu- I sandwich between paper towels and plates and stack a heavy can on top (pictured above), and press for 30 minutes
- Cut tofu into cubes– I like my cubes to be on the smaller side so you get more seasoning per bite. I cut mine in 1/2- 3/4 inch cubes.
- Toss tofu in avocado oil- I like avocado oil for the air fryer because it has a high smoke point. You can use extra virgin olive oil as well!
- Toss tofu in cornstarch- or arrowroot starch. This helps wick moisture from the tofu surface and helps it get crispy.
- Toss in spice blend- to give it lotsa flavor.
- Cook- put the whole batch in the air fryer basket and cook for 13 minutes. You want the middles to be soft and the edges to be slightly crisp. As it cools down the edges get crispier so don’t overcook!
Which kind of tofu do you use? Make sure to purchase the extra firm tofu for this recipe.
Which kind of oil should I use? I like avocado oil for the air fryer because it has a high smoke point. Extra virgin olive oil can also be used.
Which temperature do you use for this tofu air fryer recipe? 390°F or 200°C.
Tips & equipment for this air fryer tofu recipe
- This is the air fryer model I have
- All air fryer models cook slightly differently, so use your judgement when cooking your tofu; and remember it hardens/firms up as it cools
- Looking for more air fryer recipes? Try this Air Fryer Chicken Breast, these Air Fryer Zucchini Fries and these Ultra Crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas
Air Fryer Tofu
- 12 oz block extra firm tofu (350 g)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Press tofu: sandwich between paper towels and two plates. Place a heavy object (like a 28 oz can) on the top plate. See photo in post for a visual. Press for 30 minutes or more.
- Heat air fryer to 200°C/ 390°F.
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch cubes.
- Toss tofu in avocado oil, then in cornstarch.
- Toss tofu in all remaining ingredients, then place in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 13 minutes, shaking every 5 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Tofu is ready when it is firm on the outside. It should still be soft on the inside, as it hardens as it cools.
- Enjoy immediately!