Air fryer shrimp give you perfectly cooked shrimp without needing to turn on the oven! Marinated in a simple honey lime marinade, these are perfect for an easy dinner.
The air fryer is coming to the rescue this summer, by cooking up your shrimp without the need to turn on the oven or set foot in the heat to grill them up.
This honey lime air fryer shrimp is my clutch dinner when I forget to thaw something. Not only do the shrimp thaw quickly, but they cook in the air fryer in minutes!
Originally I had intended to make this shrimp recipe a crispy breaded shrimp, but honestly, it took forever to bread them, and then you had to air fry them in small batches. This honey lime shrimp alternative is so much quicker, and still plenty tasty.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
This air fryer shrimp recipe
- is quick to prep and even quicker to cook
- goes well with tacos, on salads, or straight up
- uses simple pantry ingredients
How to cook shrimp in the air fryer
The best thing about this recipe (versus breaded recipes), is that you can cook a whole pound of shrimp all at once in the air fryer, rather than cooking in batches.
First, gather your ingredients:
- 1 pound shrimp, thawed and shells removed (I left tails on because they're pretty for photos but you can remove them!)
- olive oil
- lime juice
Next, get prepping!
- Marinate- Stir together marinade ingredients, add shrimp, and let them sit for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook- Shake off excess marinade and transfer shrimp to the air fryer basket. Cook for 3-5 minutes, shaking halfway, or until your shrimp are cooked through.
Serve your honey lime shrimp with fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. So fresh and so tasty!
Can I cook my shrimp from frozen? You may be able to cook frozen shrimp in the air fryer, but I haven't tried. You'd be missing out on all the yummy honey lime marinade flavors, so I recommend taking the time to thaw and marinate your shrimp before cooking.
Can I make air fryer fried shrimp with breading? Yes you can, but be warned: it's tedious and you need to fry the shrimp in a single layer (so it takes forever to air fry 1 lb). Here's a yummy shrimp recipe that tastes similar to tempura.
Can I swap the honey lime shrimp marinade? Yes, try one of these chicken marinades, I bet they'd be great on shrimp too! Marinate for 30 minutes and remember to shake off excess marinade before air frying.
Tips & equipment for honey lime shrimp in the air fryer
- 1 lb shrimp (raw; remove shell and tail if desired)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- lime wedges
- In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, garlic and salt.
- Add the shrimp and marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the air fryer to 390°F/200°C.
- Shake excess marinade off the shrimp and put the whole batch in the air fryer.
- Cook for 2 minutes, give the basket a good shake, and return to the air fryer. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Serve with lime wedges and cilantro.
- This recipe is best served fresh, however the marinade can be stirred together up to 4 days ahead and stored in the fridge. Do not marinate shrimp for more than 1 hour.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.