Mix up your usual taco salad with this lighter shrimp taco salad version that is packed full of veggies and tossed in a honey-lime dressing! Bonus: ready in under 20 minutes.
I was looking through my archives the other day and a surprising fact jumped out at me: I haven't posted a Mexican recipe in a long, long, loooong time. I had the lovely Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet back in February, but before that...September?!?!
This is completely crazy because tortilla chips make up at least 50% of my diet, and the other 50% is guacamole 😉 (KIDDING!)
So I decided that it was time. And this recipe has both tortilla chips and avocado, so that makes me a very happy person.
So maaaaybe this isn't exactly the kind of salad you think of when you think of a taco salad.
I think of ground beef. Lettuce. Tortilla chips. Lots of salsa and lots of sour cream.
This is definitely not that salad, and that's a very good thing.
Instead, this shrimp taco salad is packed full of veggies: cabbage, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeños, and avocado. And instead of the heavier and dominant taco ground beef flavors, we have lighter and fresh honey-lime shrimp.
And the whole thing is tossed in a delicious honey-lime vinaigrette.
You're going to love this part: the vinaigrette does double-duty in this recipe. Not only is it the dressing for the salad, but it is also used as a marinade for the shrimp! That means one less thing to do at 5pm (YAY!).
Once tossed in the dressing, add your tortilla chips. They add a nice saltiness and of course crunchiness to the salad.
This whole recipe is ready in 20 minutes. <--You read that right! If there is one thing that makes me happier than a 30-minute dinner, it is a 20-minute dinner! Thank you, shrimp taco salad!
Happy Thursday, friends! I am back on Saturday, and I'm bringing us a whole bunch of slow cooker chicken dinner recipes. Woo hoo!!
Honey Lime Shrimp and Avocado Taco Salad
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon dijon
- 1 lb shrimp deveined & tails removed
- 2 cups purple cabbage chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeño sliced (optional)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 avocados cubed
- Shake together all dressing/marinade ingredients.
- In a shallow bowl, place the shrimp and ¼ cup of the marinade (reserve the rest as dressing). Toss to coat, and allow to marinate for 15 or so minutes.
- While shrimp is marinating, prep all salad ingredients. Toss with remaining dressing and divide between 4 bowls.
- Cook shrimp in a large non-stick pan for 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Add to the salad along with nachos.
Products used in this recipe:
More delicious taco salad recipes:
- Slow Cooker Beer Chicken Taco Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette from Sweet Peas & Saffron
- Seasoned Chickpea Taco Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing from She Likes Food
- Taco Salad Skillet from Budget Bytes
- Beef Taco Salad with Homemade Tortilla Bowls from Love and Olive Oil