Loaded Mexican kale salad with avocado, black beans, corn and more tossed in a delicious honey lime dressing! Vegan-friendly, great for meal prep and ready in 20 minutes.
We all love a good taco salad recipe, but sometimes it’s nice to healthify things up a little bit. This Mexican kale salad is my go-to when I’m craving something fresh, tasty, and loaded with vegetables!
Today we are loading our kale salad up with all the good stuff and tossing it all up in a delicious honey lime vinaigrette.
And with a few tricks, this salad can keep for meal prep. Yay!
This loaded Mexican kale salad
- is ready in 20 minutes
- is vegan-friendly
- can work for meal prep with a few tricks
Let’s make Mexican chopped kale salad!
The first step? Prep your ingredients:
- shred, wash, dry your kale- I use my nifty salad spinner
- chop your bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes, avocado and cilantro
- open your cans of black beans & corn, drain and rinse
Now you can totally get creative here and add in some other things you might have in the fridge to your chopped kale salad:
- pickled onions
- roasted sweet potato
- other greens (spinach, romaine)
- and so many more things…
Honey lime vinaigrette time!
A good vinaigrette can make or break a salad and this honey lime vinaigrette absolutely makes this one of the BEST kale salad recipes I’ve tried.
Here are the honey lime vinaigrette ingredients:
- olive oil– I recommend a good quality extra virgin olive oil for vinaigrettes
- white wine vinegar– I love how tangy this is, it really gives so much flavor and I use it in so many of my vinaigrette recipes
- honey– for a touch of sweetness…the dressing is not sweet, but balanced. You can swap for maple syrup or brown sugar to make this vegan!
- dijon– this does not make the vinaigrette taste ‘mustardy’ (personally I don’t actually like mustard!), but instead helps it stay together, giving more flavor to your salad. Do not skip the dijon!
- lime zest– while lime juice brings a sourness to dishes, the zest brings a bright citrussy flavor! You’re going to love it in this dressing.
How to prepare this Mexican kale avocado salad for meal prep
Now some of the ingredients in this recipe are not meal prep friendly: crispy tortilla strips, avocado, and cilantro, so we need to leave these off the salad until just before serving.
To store this best kale salad for meal prep, I store in mason jars and layer in the following order:
- vinaigrette on the bottom
- beans, corn
- bell peppers, onions
- tomatoes on the top
To serve, shake it out in a bowl, top with tortilla chips or strips, and add avocado if desired. I would leave the cilantro out as it become finicky trying to chop fresh cilantro at lunchtime 😆
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Tips & equipment for the BEST kale salad
- this is my favorite salad spinner, and this is my favorite microplane for zesting limes
- I love this salad dressing shaker or a 1/2 pint jar to shake up the vinaigrette
- Looking for more delicious mason jar salad recipes? Check out this Kale, Barley and Feta Salad with a Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette, these Ranch Chicken Jar Salads, and this Southwestern Sweet Potato Lentil Jar Salad recipe
Loaded Mexican Kale Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- 8 cups kale (shredded, washed & dried)
- 11.5 oz can of corn (drained & rinsed)
- 15 oz can of black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1/3 cup red onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped; loosely packed)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 large avocado (cubed)
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 lime (zested)
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon
- salt and pepper
- Place washed & dried kale into a large bowl. Massage with your hands for 3-5 minutes, until soft and sort of wilted.
- Add all other salad ingredients.
- Shake vinaigrette ingredients together, then pour over the salad.
- Toss and serve!
For meal prep
- Omit the avocado, cilantro and tortilla strips.
- Store in 1 pint mason jars for up to 4 days.
- Layer in the following order:*vinaigrette on the bottom*beans, corn*kale*bell peppers, onions*tomatoes on the top
- To serve, shake out the jar into a bowl. Top with tortilla strips and freshly cut avocado and enjoy!