Black bean and corn salad with a tangy chili lime vinaigrette is the perfect summery salad. Loaded with fresh corn, black beans, avocados and veggies, it is going to disappear first at your next barbecue!
I could just live off of salads all summer long, and after sharing this Summer Couscous Salad, I knew I had to share my favorite black bean and corn salad recipe as well.
This salad has the perfect blend of flavors: sweet corn, spicy jalapenos, and a tangy chili lime vinaigrette. It has crunchy veggies, chewy black beans and creamy avocado.
With a few swaps, this salad can work great for meal prep, and is a filling but nourishing lunch. It will power you all afternoon long!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons you'll love this black bean and corn salad
- you can customize the ingredients based on what you have in the fridge
- it's healthy but full of flavor
- with a few simple swaps, it can work for meal prep as well
How to make it
For this recipe, I highly recommend taking the time to use fresh corn. You just won't get the same flavor from canned corn.
- Cook your corn- my go to is this Instant Pot Corn on the Cob. It makes it so easy to prep the other ingredients while the corn cooks!
- Chop up veggies- tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, and jalapenos. You can also peel and cube your avocado- see How to Cut an Avocado (and not your hand)
- Shake up vinaigrette- my favorite chili lime vinaigrette. I used my trusty salad dressing shaker
- Drain and rinse black beans- or you can cook Perfect Black Beans in your Instant Pot as well!
- Cut the corn off the cob, cool slightly, then toss everything together just before serving.
How long does this salad last? Once you add the avocados and toss it in the dressing, this salad is best consumed within a few hours.
Can I use it for meal prep? Yes! With a few tweaks: store the salad in mason jars with dressing on the bottom.
Layer it up in the following order:
- black beans
- bell peppers, jalapeno, onion
Do not include the cilantro or the avocado, or add them just prior to serving.
Is this salad vegan? Yes it is! It is gluten-free and dairy-free as well.
What should I serve with it?
This salad is the perfect summery salad and makes a meal in itself. With that being said you can make it a side dish and serve with one of the following:
- grilled chicken- we have been loving this Perfect Grilled Chicken Breast (it's quick to cook)
- grilled bread- we love throwing some naan bread or pita bread on the grill for a few minutes
- grilled pork tenderloin- the whole family is obsessed with this Freaking Amazing Pork Tenderloin Marinade
- salmon- this Herb Crusted Broiled Salmon is my go-to at the moment!
Tips & Equipment
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 4 ears corn (or around 2 ½ cups of cooked corn kernels)
- 19 oz can of black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (chopped; omit seeds to reduce heat)
- ¼ red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ½ cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 avocados (cubed)
Chili Lime Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook corn in the Instant Pot or on the stove. Cool enough to handle and cut off the corn kernels.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Shake together vinaigrette and pour over the salad just before serving.
- This salad is best consumed within a few hours of preparing.
- To store for meal prep, divide the dressing between 4-6 1 pint jars and layer in the following order: black beans, corn, bell peppers, jalapeno, onion, tomatoes. Omit the cilantro and avocado.To serve- pour everything out into a bowl and toss up to coat in the dressing.