Balsamic grilled zucchini with parmesan is the most delish way to enjoy zucchini! Quick to prepare and bursting with flavor in every bite.
This year my fingers and toes are crossed for a big summer bounty of zucchini…because this balsamic grilled zucchini with parmesan is going. on. repeat.
I mean…look at it! 😍 Marinated in balsamic vinegar, grilled to tender perfection, smothered with parmesan cheese…you just can’t beat the flavors in this grilled zucchini recipe!
It’s also really easy to prepare. In fact the whole recipe can be ready in under 30 minutes.
Don’t you love it when easy and delicious collide?
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons to love this grilled zucchini
- you need 4 simple ingredients
- it’s ready in under 30 minutes
- it’s low carb, gluten-free and absolutely delish!
How to grill zucchini
You can cut your zucchini into a ton of different shapes, but I prefer rounds for this recipe. Cut it on a slight angle to make your rounds larger and prevent them from falling between the grates.
Here’s how to grill zucchini:
- slice into rounds (on an angle)
- ‘marinate‘ in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper while your grill heats up
- grill for 2 minutes per side, flipping as needed (total time is around 8 minutes but this depends on your grill)
- sprinkle with parmesan cheese (scoot the rounds to the front of the grill and turn it down to low so you don’t burn your hand)
- put the lid down and cook for 1 more minute, or until cheese is melted
- serve with extra balsamic vinegar or a drizzle of balsamic reduction (find my 2-ingredient balsamic reduction here!)
Can I make this recipe ahead? Unfortunately, this grilled zucchini recipe is best served immediately after cooking it. It does not reheat well.
Which type of balsamic vinegar should I use for this grilled zucchini recipe? I used regular balsamic vinegar from the grocery store to marinate, but a good quality one would be great for drizzling over top. Here’s a great guide to buying balsamic vinegar!
Can I use yellow squash or another type of summer squash? I have only tested with zucchini but other types of summer squash should work well for this recipe, as well.
What can I serve with this grilled zucchini recipe?
Grilled zucchini goes so well with a number of recipes. Here’s how I’ve been serving it:
- Grilled Chicken Breast– we have been loving this Perfect Grilled Chicken Breast and also this Greek Chicken Marinade
- Pork Tenderloin– this Freaking Amazing Pork Tenderloin Marinade is the bomb.com
- Potatoes– this grilled zucchini goes amazingly well with these Unbelievably Crispy Grilled Potatoes
- Corn– how about some corn on the cob? We cook ours in the Instant Pot- check out Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Side salad– our go-to is this Staple Kale Salad
Tips & Equipment for balsamic grilled zucchini
- I marinated my zucchini in this 9 inch baking pan
- make sure you (carefully) grease the grill either with spray oil or by brushing with some olive oil
- Look for more summery side dishes? Check out these Grilled Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Butter, this Grilled Cauliflower with Jalapeno Lime Butter, and this Grilled Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan
Balsamic Grilled Zucchini with Parmesan
- 4 medium zucchinis (sliced on the diagonal 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- balsamic reduction (optional but so tasty)
- Stir together oil and vinegar in a shallow baking dish. Add zucchini and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow zucchini to marinate while you heat the grill over medium-high heat (5-600°F).
- Carefully spray the grill or brush with olive oil. Arrange the zucchini on the grill.
- Cook for 2 minutes per side (lid down), then an additional 2-6 minutes (depending on the size of your zucchini and the heat on your grill). Zucchini should be soft but not mushy.
- Turn the grill to low, then carefully sprinkle tops of zucchini rounds with parmesan. Put the barbecue lid down and cook for one more minute.
- Carefully remove zucchini from the grill.
- Serve with extra balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction.