These 46 easy lunch meal prep ideas prove that eating healthy can be delicious and is anything but boring! A little prep work on the weekend will set you up to eat healthier, save money, and reduce your stress through the week.
Eating healthy can be a real challenge sometimes. One thing that makes it EASY to stick to your healthy eating goals? Preparing some of your meals ahead of time!
Are you ready to start meal prepping your lunches? I’m here for you with these 46+ healthy lunch meal prep ideas.
These meal prep ideas will have you looking forward to your lunch…no more boring sandwiches! Spending 30 minutes-1 hour on the weekend meal prepping these recipes is going to make a huge difference through the week.
Benefits of meal prep
- you will save money (no more buying your lunch!)
- you will eat healthier (no impulsive choices when you are overly hungry)
- you will reduce your stress (lunch is just waiting for you in the fridge!)
Tips for getting started
- Start small. You DO NOT have to meal prep all your meals in order to feel the benefits. Start with one meal that pains you- breakfast, lunch, or snacks are a great place to start!
- Schedule it. For the first month, you have to work your meal prep into your routine, so it is smart to schedule off a block of time dedicated to your meal prep. Set a reminder in your phone. At first you might feel like it’s a chore, but I’m betting once you get going, and you see how AWESOME it is to not have to worry about your meals during the week, you’ll look forward to it!
- Find a core set of recipes you can depend on. Over time, you can find a set of recipes you love and that you know work. You may even have them memorized! This makes the meal prep routine so. easy.
How many days can I meal prep for at a time? That depends on whether you choose freezer-friendly meals or not. Most ingredients will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. Check out these Freezer-Friendly Lunch Meal Prep Recipes for recipes that will keep longer!
Is rice really safe to reheat? Absolutely! The important thing with rice is that you don’t leave it at room temperature for long periods of time. Cool it quickly, refrigerate, and do not reheat more than once. Ref
Which meal prep containers should I use? Check out this post I wrote about the 5 Best Glass Meal Prep Containers!
Which vegetables work best for meal prep? You will want to check out this post on How to Meal Prep Vegetables.
Do I really have to eat the same thing four days in a row? NO! Check out this post on 3 Ways to Add Variety to Your Meal Prep. Although I will say that the most efficient way to meal prep is to bulk prep the same meal.
1. Hot lunch meal prep ideas:
2. Cold Meal Prep Lunch Ideas
2. Easy soup lunch meal prep ideas:
During the cold winter months and even sometimes in the summer, soups are on my meal plan for lunch! They are a great way to squeeze in extra veggies.
How to meal prep– Cook a big batch ahead and portion out through the week. Leftovers can often be frozen for long term storage.
How to store– Some options for storing soup include:
- these 20 oz meal mugs from Corningware (though they must be kept upright during transportation)
- store in 1 pint mason jars, then reheat in bowls in the microwave
- this super popular Crock Pot lunch warmer, which plugs in and heats your food (great for teachers or anyone without a microwave)
- this 24 oz thermos, which is perfect for soup
How to serve– bring crackers or your favorite soup dipper!
1. Crockpot Butternut Squash Chicken and Quinoa Soup from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
2. Thai Coconut Healthy Homemade Instant Noodles from Sweet Peas & Saffron
3. 30 Minute Garden Veggie Barley Soup from Stacey Homemaker
4. Stuffed Pepper Soup from Sweet Peas & Saffron
5. Healthier Broccoli Cheese Soup from Sweet Peas & Saffron
6. Ultra Creamy Butternut Squash Soup from Sweet Peas & Saffron
7. Lightened Up Beef & Barley Soup from Sweet Peas & Saffron
8. Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup from Sweet Peas & Saffron
9. Hearty Vegetable Soup from Sweet Peas & Saffron
3. Easy wrap meal prep ideas:
Sandwiches can get SO boring! Here are some delicious wrap and pita meal prep ideas that are so much more exciting.
How to meal prep- Make the fillings ahead and store separately from the lettuce wraps, tortillas or pitas until just before serving. *note- the pinwheels may be prepared up to 3 days ahead and the quesadillas hold up OK with the filling.
How to pack-
- Lettuce wraps– You may want one of these 2 compartment meal prep containers to keep filling and lettuce separate.
- Pitas & tortilla wraps– bring the whole bag of pitas/tortillas to work. Only cut the pitas just before serving and scoop the filling in.
- Pinwheels & bento– you may want one of these 3 compartment meal prep containers to store them.
How to serve–
- wraps/pitas- heat filling before spooning into lettuce, pita or tortilla.
- quesadillas– best crisped up in a frying pan before serving but are OK reheated in the microwave
- pinwheels & bentos– enjoy cold.
1. Thai Turkey Meal Prep Lettuce Wraps from Sweet Peas & Saffron
2. Smashed White Bean & Spinach Quesadillas from Sweet Peas & Saffron
3. Healthy Turkey Lettuce Wraps from Eat Yourself Skinny
4. Chickpea Shawarma Stuffed Pitas from Naturally Ella (keep pita + filling separate until just before serving)
5. Pesto Chicken Pita Pockets from Sweet Peas & Saffron
6. Spring Strawberry Bento Lunch Boxes from Sweet Peas & Saffron
7. Cajun Chicken Wraps from Sweet Peas & Saffron
8. Easy Turkey Pinwheels Meal Prep from Project Meal Plan
9. Greek Chicken Wraps from Sweet Peas & Saffron
Meal prep shortcuts
I am ALL about the shortcuts if they help me eat healthier through the week! Here are some of my favorite meal prep short cuts:
- use pre-cut & washed veggies- carrot sticks, cabbage slaw, and pre-riced cauliflower are super convenient on meal prep day!
- buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken– shred it and use in multiple meals
- use pre-made dressings and dips– cuts down on prep time
- just portion stuff out– when I’m really short on time I made bento-style boxes and add my favorite meats, cheese, veggies and dip
- use your appliances– cook your quinoa in a rice cooker so you can focus on other things. Cook a big batch of protein in the slow cooker. Using your appliances frees up your hands (and mind) to focus on other tasks.
- use ‘no cook’ recipes– such as overnight oats or salads
Lunch Meal Prep Ideas
It can be so easy to get stuck in a lunch rut. These Lunch meal prep ideas are kicking those boring sandwiches to the curb! I have searched high and low, and have found a ton of options from salads to stir fries to lunch bowls and more!
Watch the video below to see my four favorite meal prep lunch recipes in this post. They are the most popular recipes on my site! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel, or on Facebook.
Now, let’s check out these lunch meal prep ideas and get inspired: