Healthy broccoli cheese soup that is thickened with a potato and does not contain heavy cream. Packed with healthy vegetables, yet comforting and satisfying. Gluten-free.
We are now entering soups and stews season…you ready? I sure am!
I always start craving a nice bowl of soup somewhere around mid-August, even if it is sweltering hot outside. And while there have been many different creamy soups on the blog, I have yet to share my favorite broccoli cheddar soup!
It’s thick and creamy, yet no cream in it whatsoever. I think you’re going to love it!
This broccoli cheese soup
- is thickened with a potato rather than flour
- is ready in under 30 minutes
- is filling and satisfying, yet packed with healthy vegetables
How to make it
Most broccoli soup recipes out there are thickened with flour, use heavy cream and tons of cheddar cheese. My version is thickened with a potato! This is a trick I learned when making my favorite cauliflower cheese soup growing up. The starchy potato adds body to the soup without the need to make a roux or any flour.
- We start by sauteeing the onions and garlic in a little olive oil.
- Then we add the broccoli, celery, potato, seasonings and broth.
- Simmer for 20-ish minutes until everything is soft.
- Puree with a cup of milk! I love my immersion blender for this step but you could also transfer to a blender.
- Add in the cheese by small handfuls and stir until it is melted into the soup.
Can I freeze broccoli cheddar soup?
YES. I always thought that creamy soups could not be frozen, but this soup freezes and thaws like a dream.
Is this recipe low carb?
There are 20 g of carbs per bowl, which is on the lower end of the spectrum, however not keto-friendly. You could try swapping the potato for arrowroot starch, though I’m unsure of the amounts you’d need. You can also swap the milk for almond milk.
Can I make it in the slow cooker? Instant pot?
Check out this Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup! I have not tried it in the slow cooker; I’d try low 3 hours in the slow cooker (don’t cook the broccoli on high heat in the slow cooker as it can get bitter).
How do I get my broccoli cheese soup as smooth as yours?
For this soup, I had to puree with my immersion blender for 2-3 minutes to get it so creamy. If you just do a quick blitz, it will be slightly grainy. Make sure you give it a really good blend!
- this is my immersion blender (make sure to blend your soup for 2-3 minutes to get it ultra creamy)
- here’s my favorite chef’s knife that made chopping a breeze (I wish I had bought a good one sooner!)
- Looking for more healthy soup recipes? Check out this Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup, this Butternut Squash Soup Recipe, or these 36+ Healthy Soup Recipes
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 4 cups broccoli florets (1-2 inches)
- 1 white potato (cut into 0.5 inch cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook for 5-7 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the celery, broccoli, potato, salt, pepper and broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potato is soft when poked with a fork.
- Add the milk, then blend with an immersion blender until creamy and smooth (2-3 minutes).
- Add the cheese in 3-4 batches, stirring each time until it has melted into the soup.
- This soup may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, or the freezer for up to 3 months.