This healthier butternut squash soup recipe is thick and creamy, and full of flavor! The perfect way to enjoy butternut squash, and ready in under 30 minutes.
Creamy and dreamy is pretty much how I describe this butternut squash soup recipe…sigh!
After posting my favorite Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup, I had to follow it up with another classic comfort food recipe: butternut squash soup!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
We love this butternut squash soup recipe because
- it’s easy to make and is ready in under 30 minutes
- it’s freezer-friendly
- Kai proclaimed it to be the “best soup ever!”. <– that is the highest of high praises!
How to make butternut squash soup
When it comes to butternut squash soup, you can’t beat fresh butternut squash. I have dabbled with pre-cut frozen butternut squash, but sadly have always been disappointed with a lack of flavor.
- Sautee an onion in olive oil for 5-7 min.
- Add in some dried sage leaves (ground sage also works) and cook for 1 min.
- Add the carrots, butternut squash, salt, maple syrup and stock. Simmer 15 min.
- Puree with 1 cup of milk (or almond or coconut milk). I used my immersion blender.
Can I freeze butternut squash soup? YES! This soup keeps really well in the fridge for up to 5 days (and it tastes even better as it sits!), and it freezes for up to 3 months. I love these re-usable soup containers for the freezer.
Can I make this butternut squash soup recipe vegan? YES! Swap the milk for unsweetened almond milk. Coconut milk is also great.
Can I make this butternut soup recipe in the Instant Pot? I bet you could! I’d follow the directions for this Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup.
Tips and equipment for butternut squash soup
- Here’s my favorite immersion blender
- I highly recommend fresh butternut squash over frozen
- here’s my favorite chef’s knife that made chopping a breeze (I wish I had bought a good one sooner!)
- Looking for more healthy soup recipes? Check out this Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup, this Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup, or these 36+ Healthy Soup Recipes
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon ground sage)
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 6 cups butternut squash cubes (peeled, seeds scooped out and cut into 3/4 inch cubes)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (dairy, almond milk, coconut milk all work!)
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add the sage and cook for another 1 minute or so, until you can smell it.
- Add the carrots, squash, stock, maple syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots and squash are tender.
- Add the cup of milk and blend with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy (1-2 minutes). Alternatively, you could *very carefully* transfer to a stand blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.