This Thai Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is a twist on a classic comfort recipe. A bit spicy, savory and sweet, and completely comforting!
This recipe was updated on 3/1/2017 to address issues with coconut milk.
Today is the Octoberiest day ever. It’s snow/raining, the ground is littered with leaves, and it’s borderline winter-coat weather.
If you grew up in Canada, you probably had to wear your Halloween costume OVER your snowsuit. So really, Mother Nature is right on time this year.
As much as I want the days to stay longer and the weather to wait just a little longer before full-on snow shows up, I kind of like this time of year. I like wrapping up in a big sweater and watching the leaves blow around outside.
And it also happens to be the time of year when nothing will do except a big bowl of soup to warm you right up. So today, I’m sharing this delicious Thai slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup with you!
This soup is packed full of your traditional Thai curry flavors: that blend of savory, sweet, sour and spicy. Actually, Ben and I both agreed that this soup was one of our favorites on this site…and we are very snobby about our Thai food!
This soup also happens to be packed full of veggies (cause that’s how I roll). Those potatoey looking things up there are actually squash (I used acorn squash but any squash would be great)! FOUR whole cups of squash and there’s also carrots and onions.
I used boneless skinless chicken thighs in this Thai slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup, because I really like the texture it has. BUT you can totally use chicken breast instead!
This is a typical Denise recipe aka: no browning or pre-cooking anything. Dump it all in and walk away. Hurray for easy prep, amiright?
09/2017: this recipe has been updated with instructions to assemble ahead and freeze for an easy Freezer Slow Cooker meal.
I don’t recommend cooking longer than 6 hours on low as the rice gets really mushy. So 6 hours max on low and 4 hours on high. Mmm-kay?
Now. I’m off to dig out my big puffy parka…because if I know Calgary, I know -20 is just around the corner. (WAH!!)
Haver yourself an amazing weekend!
No More soup for us!
- find yourself a TON of inspiration in this round up of 19 Healthy Slow Cooker Soups & Stews
- mix it up with this Slow Cooker Spanish Chicken Stew
- or try this vegan Slow Cooker Potato Corn Soup
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 cups squash, cubed (acorn & butternut were both great)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons thai red curry paste (I used this one)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2/3 cup wild rice or wild rice blend (blend used in photos)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 400mL cans of coconut milk (I recommend using full fat, not light coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Combine all ingredients except the coconut milk in a 6 quart slow cooker (* see note).
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Stir in the coconut milk and lime juice and cook for 10 or so minutes until completely combined.
- Shred chicken with two forks.
- Serve with lime wedges and cilantro (if desired).
- To prep ahead and freeze
- Assemble all ingredients except for the stock and wild rice in a quart-sized freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely and add to the slow cooker with the stock and wild rice. Cook as indicated above.
Calories 288 // Fat 12 g // Saturated Fat 9 g // Cholesterol 54 mg // Sodium 815 mg // Carbohydrate 26 g // Fiber 3 g // Sugars 8 g // Protein 18 g
* I prepared this in my 5 quart slow cooker but it was very full. I recommend using a 6 quart or larger.
Due to the Thai curry paste, this soup is moderately spicy.
This recipe has also been tested with bone in chicken breast and worked great cooked on high for 4 hours.
FOR EXTRA CREAMY SOUP leave out 2 cups of chicken stock and add an extra can of coconut milk at the end.
|Serving Size||u215b batch|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 288 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 9 g||45%|
|Cholesterol 54 mg||18%|
|Sodium 815 mg||34%|
|Carbohydrate 26 g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Sugars 8 g|
|Protein 18 g|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|