This Thai-inspired slow cooker ginger peanut chicken is so easy to throw together. It cooks along with baby potatoes, green beans and carrots for a complete meal!
No sautee slow cooker meals are so great because you can get them into the slow cooker quickly. From crockpot chicken fajitas to crockpot pulled pork, I have a ton of easy prep recipes for you on this site!
Slow cooker ginger peanut chicken is another great one, and the best part is that it also includes green beans, carrots and potatoes for a complete meal!
Reasons you’ll ♡ slow cooker ginger peanut chicken
- no sautéing means you can get the ingredients into the slow cooker quickly
- you can cook a complete meal in the slow cooker
- it has delicious Thai-inspired peanut ginger flavor
- chicken– this recipe calls for bone in chicken breast; because it is less ‘saucy’, boneless chicken breasts will dry out more in this recipe. You could also swap for boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- beans– this is a bit of a long cook time for the beans; if you are picky about the texture of your beans, feel free to leave them out initially, adding them in during the last 1-2 hours of cook time.
- peanut butter– this recipe calls for creamy peanut butter, but crunchy would be good as well. I used a sweetened peanut butter (Kraft) so if you use all natural, you may want to increase the brown sugar a touch.
- carrots + potatoes– these hardy vegetables do well for a long cook time; if you are looking to swap, other root vegetables would be a good option. Sweet potatoes and parsnips are two options.
Start by mixing the sauce
The flavor base for this recipe is a simple sauce of peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and sesame oil. Start by heating the peanut butter gently in the microwave; this helps soften it, making it easier to mix the other ingredients in.
Add the remaining ingredients, and stir until smooth and completely combined. Taste to see if your tastebuds are happy; I used a sweetened peanut butter, so if you use natural peanut butter, you may need to increase the sugar a touch.
Reader tip- some readers have recommended doubling the sauce for this recipe.
Toss chicken in the sauce
We want to make sure our chicken absorbs as much peanut ginger flavor as possible while it cooks, so we toss it in the peanut ginger sauce before adding to the slow cooker. After tossing in the sauce, postition the chicken to one side of the slow cooker (stacked), and arrange the veggies on the other side. While the meal cooks, the sauce will liquify, moving to the other side of the slow cooker flavoring the other ingredients as well.
Cook on low heat
In general, the slow cooker works better when cooked on the lowest setting (1). The high setting can bring the pot to a vigorous boil, overcooking the chicken and ruining the dish. To avoid overcooking our chicken, we cook this recipe on the lowest setting for 4-5 hours.
Storage + reheating
- fridge– store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days
- reheat– heat in a frying pan on the stove or in a covered dish in the microwave until warmed through
- freezer– I have not tried freezing leftovers; the beans and carrots might be quite mushy. Leave us a comment below if you give it a try!
I have owned Crock Pot brand slow cookers for many years now and have been extremely happy.
More slow cooker chicken recipes
- Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chicken Korma
- 7 No Sautee Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Slow Cooker Ginger Peanut Chicken with Green Beans & Baby Potatoes
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce I use reduced sodium
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 bone-in skinless chicken breasts note 1
- 8 oz green beans washed and trimmed
- 2-3 carrots peeled and sliced into strips
- 4 cups baby potatoes halved (roughly 1lb)
- Cilantro leaves
- Crushed peanuts
- Place the peanut butter in a microwavable bowl, and heat for 15 seconds. Stir, and return to the microwave for another 10 seconds, and stir again.
- Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and sesame oil to the bowl. Stir until smooth and completely combined.
- Add the chicken breasts to the bowl, and turn to coat in the peanut sauce.
- Place the chicken in the base of a slow cooker. Spread any peanut sauce remaining in the bowl over the chicken.
- Place the potatoes beside the chicken, and top with the carrots and green beans.
- Cook on the lowest setting for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the carrots, green beans and potatoes from the slow cooker and arrange on plates.
- Shred the chicken between two forks, tossing it in the peanut sauce, and serve. Garnish with cilantro leaves and additional peanuts.
- Spoon any additional peanut sauce over the veggies.