These strawberry spinach spring rolls are light, refreshing, and so tasty! Inspired by strawberry spinach salad, they are ready in 10 minutes or less.
While I am a sucker for deep fried appetizers, it can be nice to offer something lighter. We are huge fans of these grilled caprese zucchini roll ups and these bruschetta and goat cheese stuffed mushroom caps.
Strawberry spinach spring rolls are another light yet tasty appetizer idea. Inspired by a strawberry spinach salad, they have fresh spinach, strawberries, feta cheese and pecans all rolled up in a spring roll wrapper.
Drizzle with this 2 ingredient balsamic reduction and you are set!
Reasons you'll ♡ strawberry spinach spring rolls
- they are light, fresh, and filled with fruit and vegetables
- they are easy to prep (ready in 10 minutes or less)
- they taste just like strawberry spinach salad
Wondering exactly how to this recipe? Watch this 1-minute video for step by step instructions! You can find more recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Spring rolls vs summer rolls
When you hear the name 'spring rolls', the Chinese version may initially come to mind: wrapped in flour-based dough and deep-fried (1). The spring rolls in this recipe are far from traditional, but are inspired by the Vietnamese version which is rolled in rice paper and served cold.
They may also be called Vietnamese spring rolls, fresh spring rolls, summer rolls or rice paper rolls (2).
- spring roll wrappers- not too be confused with the flour-based Chinese wrappers, Vietnamese spring roll wrappers are rice based, translucent and brittle. When you are ready to roll, it's as simple as soaking them in warm water to rehydrate them! Rice spring roll wrappers can be found in the Asian food aisle of your grocery store.
- pecans- adding a nutty flavor and crunchy texture, pecans are a delicious addition to this recipe, however they are not 100% essential. Swap for almonds, walnuts, or simply leave them out.
- strawberries- sweet summer strawberries add the perfect flavor contrast to the feta and balsamic reduction, however you could swap them out for your favorite seasonal berry. Blueberries, raspberries and even cherries would go well in these spring rolls.
- spinach- adding bulk and nutrition to the wraps, spinach works great. Swap for baby kale or romaine lettuce.
- feta cheese- adds a necessary salty flavor contrast as well as a creamy texture to the spring rolls. Goat cheese could make a suitable alternative.
Prep your filling first
Once the spring roll wrappers have softened, you'll need to get rolling fairly quickly, so it's best to have your ingredients prepped and ready for you. For this recipe, simply wash and slice some strawberries, crumble the feta cheese, and chop the pecans.
How to soften the rice paper
Vietnamese spring roll wrappers are shelf-stable circular disks that should be found in the Asian food section of your grocery store. Before you roll your spring rolls, you'll need to soften the wrappers first: simply soak in a bowl of warm temperature water for around 10-15 seconds; it should be soft but still have some structure. Do not soak too long as it will become too. soft and difficult to handle.
Keep an eye on the wrapper, and go by feel: when it is softened enough to roll, quickly remove it from the bowl and get to rolling.
Caution- soften one spring roll wrapper at a time- do not put the whole package into the water!
Roll the spring rolls
Assemble the ingredients onto the softened spring roll wrapper, leaving a 1 ½ inch border on either side. Watch the video above to see exactly where to place the toppings. Just like burritos, you do not want to overfill these spinach spring rolls.
Start by rolling the top edge of the spring roll for one full turn, then fold the sides in. Use the stickiness of the wrapper to your advantage, pulling the roll tight as you roll up towards the end. Again, I do advise watching the video above for a visual guide.
Serve it with
Don't forget to serve your strawberry spinach spring rolls with a tasty dipping sauce. Here are some ideas:
More appetizer recipes
- Crispy Baked Falafel
- 7 Amazing Homemade Hummus Recipe Flavors
- Healthy Baked Chickpea Cauliflower Samosas
- Balsamic Strawberry Wonton Bites
- Smoked Salmon Cucumber Roll Ups
- 3 cups spinach loosely packed
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ⅓ cup pecans chopped
- 8 spring roll wrappers note 1
- Balsamic reduction
For each salad roll:
- ⅓ cup loosely packed spinach
- 2 tablespoons strawberries
- 2 teaspoons feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons pecans
- Fill a large bowl with warm water.
- Place spring roll wrapper in the water, keeping it immersed for 10-15 seconds, until wrapper becomes slightly soft. (It will still have some structure to it and not be completely soft yet).
- Place on a clean dry surface.
- Add ⅓ cup loosely packed spinach, followed by 2 tablespoons strawberries, 2 teaspoons of pecans and 2 teaspoons of feta cheese.
- Fold the top, then the sides, then roll up as tightly as you can manage.
- Set aside and repeat with remaining spring rolls.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction before eating.
- pecans– swap for almonds, walnuts, or simply leave them out
- strawberries– swap for blueberries, raspberries, cherries or blackberries
- spinach– swap for baby kale or romaine lettuce
- feta cheese– swap for goat cheese
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.