Crockpot chicken noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food made easier: no sauteeing, loaded with noodles, and totally satisfying. Works great as a freezer crockpot meal.
Just like this crockpot white chicken chili, and slow cooker Tuscan chicken stew, chicken noodle soup has long been my go-to comfort food: it was one of my favorite foods as a child, and it's the one thing that I can eat when I'm sick (particularly when I had morning sickness!).
This crockpot version of the classic soup makes it even easier to cook, because you can just throw it all into the slow cooker and go on with your day!
No sautéing and a simple ingredients list makes this recipe so so easy.
Reasons you'll ♡ this crockpot chicken noodle soup
- it's a 'dump and go' slow cooker meal (no sauteeing!)
- you can assemble ahead as a freezer crockpot meal
- it is kid-friendly, and the ultimate comfort food
Watch the video below to see exactly how I prepped this soup. It’s so easy! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Which ingredients do we need?
- Chicken- I like using boneless skinless chicken thighs as they stay nice and juicy in the slow cooker; but you can also use boneless skinless chicken breast: reduce the cook time to 3-4 hours
- Aromatics- onion and garlic
- Veggies- carrots & celery
- Spices- thyme leaves, bay leaves and salt
- Bouillon- since there is no sautee step, this soup needs a little help to build flavor. I like using Better Than Bouillon. If you skip the bouillon, keep in mind this soup will have less flavor, and may need more salt.
- Stock- use store-bought chicken stock or make a batch of homemade bone broth
- Noodles- we are going with classic egg noodles here. Add them during the last 15-20 minutes of cook time.
Can I use pre-cooked chicken in this recipe?
Sure, if you have pre-cooked & shredded chicken, you could stir it in towards the end with the noodles.
Can I swap the egg noodles for another type?
Absolutely, however keep in mind this will likely have a different cook time.
Can I freeze chicken noodle soup?
I have sadly not had the best results in freezing noodly soups, as the noodles tend to get very soft upon thawing. The soup without noodles freezes great, though, so one option is to freeze the soup base, then add in the noodles as you re-heat!
This soup also keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days after cooking.
Can I make this in the Instant Pot?
I bet you could, however I have not tried. I would guess you'd want to cook for 10 minutes with a 10 min natural pressure release, then add your noodles and set to sautee, simmering until your noodles are cooked though. Let me know in the comments how it goes if you try this!
Can I skip the Better than Bouillon?
If you can't find Better than Bouillon, you can use powdered bouillon. See recipe card notes.
Want to mix this recipe up?
While I do love the classics, sometimes it's fun to mix things up a little! Here are some fun ways you can remix this soup:
- swap the noodles for zoodles- stir them in and serve right away! Keep in mind leftovers may not keep well.
- swap the thyme for fresh rosemary- simmer 2-3 sprigs and remove before serving
- make it lemony- squeeze the juice of half a lemon in just before serving
- give it some Asian flavor- check out this Slow Cooker Lemon Sesame Chicken Noodle Soup
More crockpot soup recipes
- 7 Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken Stew
- Thai Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (roughly 7-8 small thighs or 4 large thighs)
- 4 ribs celery (chopped small)
- 4 carrots (peeled & chopped small)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon better than bouillon (chicken base; see * notes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken stock
20 Minutes Before Serving
- 4 cups egg noodles (uncooked)
- In the base of a large slow cooker, add all ingredients (except for egg noodles).
- Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.
- 20 minutes before serving, stir in the egg noodles. Continue cooking until noodles are cooked through (roughly 20 minutes).
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Scoop out the chicken and shred. Return chicken to the slow cooker.
- Garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!
- Assemble all ingredients except for stock and noodles in a gallon-sized freezer bag, reusable gallon-sized freezer bag, or large 3 quart meal prep container.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before adding stock and cooking as directed above.