Cilantro lime chicken crockpot tacos are full of simple, bright flavors: cilantro, lime juice, garlic and a touch of honey! No sauteeing required (just 15 min prep!), and easy to meal prep.
After updating these delicious Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs, these cilantro lime chicken crockpot tacos absolutely had to go on the menu next!
This recipe was originally published in 2017! We have tweaked the recipe slightly and added a video in 2019…same great flavors but less liquid!
If you are looking for cilantro lime chicken that actually tastes like cilantro and lime…you have the right recipe!
While I love cilantro, I do not love soggy cilantro leaves. This recipe blends the cilantro into the cooking liquid before cooking, eliminating the soggy cilantro leave conundrum, and infusing the chicken with so. much. dang. flavor.
And? No sauteeing. Hallelujah! That means this can work as a freezer crockpot meal (find 7 more freezable Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes here!)
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons you’re going to ♡ these cilantro lime chicken crockpot tacos
- they taste like cilantro & lime but without the soggy cilantro leaf situation
- no sauteeing & 10 minutes prep
- you can assemble ahead and freeze OR cook ahead and freeze!
How to cook slow cooker cilantro lime chicken
All you need are 15 minutes and a few simple ingredients to get dinner in the crockpot (and get on with your day!)
- make the cilantro sauce– blend together garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, honey, lime zest and (of course) cilantro leaves in a bit of chicken stock. You can do it with this immersion blender or a stand blender (I have my eye on this Vitamix!)
- add to slow cooker– with chicken thighs (or breasts), corn, red onion and black beans (optional and not pictured).
- cook low 4-5 hours
- shred chicken
- taco time!
How to assemble this recipe ahead as a freezer meal
Freezer crockpot meals are a STAPLE in my house…try them and prepare to have your life changed by how easy they make dinner!
Here’s how you can turn this slow cooker cilantro lime chicken into a freezer pack:
- Assemble the chicken and all other ingredients in a gallon-sized freezer bag (update– we no longer use plastic bags, we either use these awesome eco-friendly gallon silicone bags or a 3 quart Ikea glass storage container).
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
So incredibly simple! When you’re ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely before placing everything in the slow cooker and cooking on low for 4-5 hours.
What kind of chicken can I use in this slow cooker cilantro lime chicken recipe? We make it with either boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs. Chicken thighs can cook a little longer (5-6 hrs) than chicken breasts (4 hrs).
Can I cook this slow cooker cilantro lime chicken in my Instant Pot? I bet that would work (8 min high pressure + quick pressure release for chicken breasts, 10 min for thighs), though I haven’t tried. If you do try it, I’d love if you left a comment below!
Can I freeze cilantro lime chicken tacos filling? You sure can! You can assemble ahead as a freezer crockpot meal (instructions above and in the recipe card) or you can freeze leftovers. Leftovers can be frozen for up to 3 months.
How can I serve my cilantro lime chicken?
Well obviously tacos is one idea, but there are a bunch more ways you could use up your chicken:
- burrito bowls– serve with rice, lettuce, pico de gallo, avocado (see how to cut an avocado) and a dollop of sour cream
- taco salad– serve with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, tortilla chips and salsa
- rice– I bet this coconut rice or this coconut cauliflower rice would go great!
- sweet potato– what about stuffing your sweet potato with cilantro lime chicken? Sounds good to me! See How to Bake Sweet Potatoes (with a trick to get super fluffy insides)
Tips and equipment for the perfect cilantro lime chicken tacos
- equipment– I use this 6 quart slow cooker (for a full batch) and this 2.5 quart slow cooker (for a half batch).
- I used this immersion blender. I recommend these gallon silicone bags or a 3 quart meal prep container from Ikea for freezing.
- Looking for more freezer crockpot chicken recipes? Check out this Slow Cooker Butter Chicken, Crockpot BBQ Chicken, and Crockpot Salsa Chicken
Cilantro Lime Chicken Crockpot Tacos
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- zest of 1 limes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
To serve (you will just need these ingredients the day you serve)
- Tortillas 2 small tortillas per person
- shredded cabbage
- radish slices
- greek yogurt
- In the base of a 6 quart slow cooker, place the chicken breasts, corn and onion slices.
- Using a stand or immersion blender, blend the sauce ingredients and pour over slow cooker contents.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve in tortillas topped with yogurt, shredded cabbage and radish slices
To assemble and freeze:
- In a gallon sized freezer bag (see note), place the chicken breasts, corn and onion slices.
- Using a stand or immersion blender, blend the sauce ingredients and pour into the bag.
- Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely and cook as directed above.