This crockpot salsa chicken is a 4 ingredient recipe that can be assembled ahead as a crockpot freezer meal. Use the salsa chicken in tacos, burrito bowls, or enjoy as is!
Say hello to my solution to hectic weeknights…this slow cooker salsa chicken is incredibly easy to prepare and is super versatile!
This crock pot salsa chicken recipe was one of 7 Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes I shared last month, and today it’s getting its very own post!
We love this crockpot salsa chicken because
- it is made with a few simple ingredients that we pretty much always have on hand
- it can be a crockpot freezer meal
- it’s versatile and can be used in a variety of meals including tacos and burrito bowls
How to make slow cooker salsa chicken
This is quite possibly the easiest recipe on the internet 😉
- Combine boneless skinless chicken breasts, salsa, cumin and chili powder in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Shred with two forks and enjoy!
How can I serve this crockpot chicken and salsa? In tacos with cheese, tomatoes and avocados. Served in a burrito bowl with rice (or cauliflower rice), corn and black beans. In quesadillas with shredded cheese and fresh tomatoes. Or, just enjoy it as is!
How do I prepare this salsa chicken crockpot recipe as a crockpot freezer meal? Simply combine the ingredients in a sturdy freezer bag (or one of these awesome eco-friendly silicone freezer bags!), and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight before cooking as directed.
Can I swap for chicken thighs? Absolutely. You can cook for 4-5 hours on low for boneless skinless chicken thighs (I do not recommend skin-on chicken thighs for the slow cooker as they will release a lot of fat during the cook time).
Can I cook this salsa chicken in the Instant Pot? Mayyybe. I have not tried this recipe and the salsa may be too thick to produce enough steam. If you try it and get a ‘burn’ message, dilute it with 1/4 cup of water and try again. And if you do give it a try, let me know in the comments how it turns out for you!
Tips and equipment for this salsa chicken crockpot recipe
- This recipe may be cooked in a large 5 quart Crock Pot or halved and cooked in smaller 2.5 quart Crock Pot for the same amount of time
- For making freezer packs: you can find my favorite baggie holders here, and the freezer bags I used here (MAKE SURE you get a good quality freezer bag, as you don’t want any leakage as it thaws!)
- Looking for more freezer slow cooker recipes? Check out this Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe, this Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken, and these Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
Combine all ingredients in the base of a 5 quart slow cooker.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Shred the chicken with two forks and toss in the cooking liquid.
Taste and adjust salt. A squeeze of lime helps brighten the flavors up, too.
Combine all ingredients in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
Squeeze out extra air.
Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
Serving size is roughly 1/2 cup