This crock pot teriyaki chicken recipe requires no pre-cooking, meaning you can dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker and press the button. Serve over rice for an easy weeknight dinner or meal prep lunch.
After sharing seven freezable slow cooker chicken recipes with you, I’m going through and photographing the finished products, including this slow cooker teriyaki chicken.
Teriyaki is a favorite amongst both adults and kids, and for good reason! It is packed full of sweet and savory flavor but isn’t too spicy. It pairs with any number of protein or vegetables, and is super easy to prep.
This crock pot teriyaki chicken recipe
- requires no pre-cooking
- can be assembled ahead and frozen
- is refined sugar-free and easily made gluten-free/paleo
- makes a great meal prep lunch or easy weeknight dinner
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
How to make this recipe ahead and freeze it
Chicken breast freezer packs are a staple in my freezer and are an absolute lifesaver during busy weeks! Here’s how you can turn this slow cooker teriyaki chicken recipe into a freezer pack:
- Assemble the boneless skinless chicken breasts plus all remaining ingredients (except for the cornstarch) in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
So incredibly simple! When you’re ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely before placing everything in the slow cooker and cooking on low for 3-4 hours.
This slow cooker teriyaki chicken recipe is awesome because not only do you end up with some seriously flavorful chicken, but a delicious sauce to spoon over your rice and veggies.
Can I use chicken thighs in this recipe? Yes! We love using boneless skinless chicken thighs in this crockpot teriyaki chicken recipe. I would adjust the cook time to 4-5 hours on low.
How can I make this recipe gluten-free? Simply swap the soy sauce for tamari or coconut aminos, and make sure your mirin is truly gluten-free.
Can I add vegetables to this crock pot chicken teriyaki? Yes! We love adding sliced vegetables (such as bell pepper and onions), snap peas and asparagus during the last hour of cooking. You can also add broccoli florets during the last 1-2 hours of cooking.
Tips for perfect slow cooker teriyaki chicken
- I tested this recipe in my 6 quart slow cooker, but you can also half the recipe and cook for the same amount of time in a 2.5 quart slow cooker
- You can swap in boneless chicken thighs, but make sure to increase the cook time to 4-5 hours on low
- This recipe makes for great leftovers, and you can even portion out the teriyaki chicken with rice in meal prep containers and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Looking for more slow cooker chicken recipes? Try these Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs, these Crockpot Chicken Fajitas, or this post with 7 Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes (you can freeze)
Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger chopped or 1/2 teaspoon powdered
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- sesame seeds
- green onions
- Place all ingredients not marked 'after cooking' in the base of a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Stir together the cornstarch and water, then add to the slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker to high and cook for 30 or so more minutes, until cooking liquid is thickened.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, cut or shred, then return to the sauce. Serve over rice.
To assemble ahead and freeze
- Combine all ingredients not marked 'after cooking' in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
- Squeeze out extra air.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.