Make your meal prep hands off with this smoky chipotle honey twist on a taco salad. The chicken simmers in the slow cooker, with the sauce doubling as a dressing for the salad!
When it comes to meal prep, using your appliances can make your prep effortless and hands off. Favorite meal prep recipes that use the slow cooker include Instant Pot honey garlic chicken thighs, as well as slow cooker teriyaki chicken.
This recipe takes the classic taco salad and gives it a twist: swapping ground beef for chipotle honey-flavored shredded chicken, and using a rainbow blend of cabbage, bell peppers and shredded carrots. It's crunchy, refreshing, and perfect for lunch!
Reasons you'll ♡ this recipe
- it's easy to get it cooking and the slow cooker makes it effortless
- the sauce doubles as a salad dressing
- you can get creative with the salad ingredients
- it keeps well for 4 days- perfect for meal prep!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
- chicken breast- we are cooking 1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe; feel free to swap for bone-in chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs (adjust the cook time to 4-5 hours on low for either)
- adobo sauce + chipotle pepper- these add a wonderful smoky and spiciness to the salad. Find them in a can in the Mexican foods section of the grocery store. If you like it spicy, add in one whole chipotle pepper (whole, we will remove later). If you want to reduce the spiciness, add the adobo sauce but skip the chipotle pepper.
- vegetables- you can definitely get creative here, but I went with a blend of purple cabbage, bell pepper and shredded carrot. See notes on substitutions below.
- tortilla strips- this adds delicious crunchy texture as well as salty flavor to the salad, however if you plan to meal prep the salad, be sure to add the tortilla strips just before serving as they will get soggy otherwise.
Step by step directions
1. Cook the chicken- In a 2.5 quart slow cooker, stir together the honey, chicken stock, salt, garlic, lime juice, adobo sauce and chipotle pepper (if using). Add the chicken breasts, turn to coat and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
2. Shred the chicken- Remove the chipotle pepper using tongs and discard. Using two forks, shred the chicken into strips. Alternatively, you can transfer to a clean bowl and shred in seconds using an electric hand mixer.
Portion- Divide the chopped vegetables between four 2-cup meal prep containers. Add ½ cup chicken to each bowl, and spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce over each meal prep container.
Store- Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Serve- Sprinkle with tortilla strips, toss it all up, and enjoy!
Adding a whole chipotle pepper does add some kick to this recipe. If you'd like to tone it down, simply omit the pepper. I do recommend adding the adobo sauce as it adds a nice smoky flavor to the sauce.
Yes, feel free to swap the boneless chicken breasts for bone-in, or use boneless skinless chicken thighs. Increase the cook time to 4-5 hours on low.
The caveat to 5-6 quart slow cookers is that you need to cook a lot of chicken at once. I recommend using a smaller slow cooker (I like this 2.5 quart slow cooker) to cook 1 lb of chicken.
If you have a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker, you will need to double the recipe (the liquid will be too thin and the chicken may dry out). You can freeze half of the chicken for later!
While I haven't tested, I suspect that would be just fine.
Personally, I serve it cold, however that's totally up to you!
- Swap the chicken for these honey chipotle meatballs
- Swap in traditional taco salad ingredients: romaine lettuce, tomatoes (or salsa, cheese, avocado, corn or black beans
- Serve it in a tortilla
- Swap the chicken for this slow cooker honey lime chicken recipe
Meal prep containers may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
I do not recommend freezing the meal prep bowls, however the chicken can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Find my favorite meal prep containers here!
More slow cooker chicken recipes
- Slow Cooker Honey Lime Shredded Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- 7 Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- Crockpot Whole Chicken and Veggies
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Crockpot Tacos
☆ Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear how it turned out! Leave me a review and star rating in the comments below. Your reviews help so much!
Slow Cooker Chipotle Honey Chicken
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
- 1 chipotle pepper whole; optional; see note 1
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts roughly 2 large breasts; see note 2
- 3 cups cabbage finely chopped or shredded
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
- tortilla chips or strips
- or small tortillas to serve as tacos
- Cook the chicken- In a 2.5 quart slow cooker (see note 3), stir together the honey, chicken stock, salt, garlic, lime juice, adobo sauce and chipotle pepper (if using). Add the chicken breasts, turn to coat and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Shred the chicken- Remove the chipotle pepper using tongs and discard. Using two forks, shred the chicken into strips. Alternatively, you can transfer to a clean bowl and shred in seconds using an electric hand mixer.
- Portion- Divide the chopped vegetables between four 2-cup meal prep containers. Add ½ cup chicken to each bowl, and spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce over each meal prep container.
- Store- Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Serve- Sprinkle with tortilla strips, toss it all up, and enjoy! You may enjoy this salad cold, or warm it up.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.