Crockpot chicken fajitas are a healthy and delicious weeknight dinner. You can assemble the ingredients ahead and freeze for an easy meal prep dinner!
After sharing SEVEN Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes on the blog last month and showing you how you can assemble them ahead and freeze (hello…perfect for when chicken breasts go on sale!), I’m working my way through them to show you the finished product.
And these Crockpot Chicken Fajitas are finally getting their own post!
If you are looking for an easy way to get a healthy dinner on the table (and one that the whole family will love!), then you are in the right place.
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
How to make these crockpot chicken fajitas ahead and freeze
Chicken breast freezer packs are a staple in my freezer and are an absolute lifesaver during busy weeks! Here’s how you can turn these slow cooker chicken fajitas into a freezer pack:
- Assemble the boneless skinless chicken breasts, fire roasted tomatoes, and all other ingredients not listed ‘one hour before serving’ in a gallon-sized freezer bag (or these awesome eco-friendly silicone freezer bags!).
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
So incredibly simple! When you’re ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely before placing everything in the slow cooker and cooking on low for 4 hours.
These freezer slow cooker chicken fajitas might look slightly different from other recipes out there, and that’s because I don’t like including the vegetables, as I find they get too mushy for our preference.
Instead, I assemble just the chicken and the sauce ahead, and add the bell peppers and onions during the last hour of cooking. This way, they maintain their flavor and a slight crunch.
Tips for perfect slow cooker chicken fajitas
- These crock pot chicken fajitas can be made in a 5 quart slow cooker or halved and cooked in a 2.5 quart slow cooker (which is perfect for my small family!). Either way, the cook time is the same.
- You can swap the chicken breasts for boneless skinless chicken thighs; simply increase the cook time to 4-6 hours on low!
- Looking for more slow cooker chicken recipes? Try these Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs, this Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken or this Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken.
- Looking for Instant Pot chicken recipes? Try these Seven Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes!
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup diced tomatoes I recommend fire roasted
1 hour before serving
- 1 lime juiced
- 4 bell peppers sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- greek yogurt
- avocado slices
- Place all ingredients not marked 'after cooking' in the base of a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Add lime juice and vegetables to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for another hour.
- Shred chicken between two forks and toss in the cooking liquid before serving.
To assemble ahead and freeze
- Combine all ingredients not marked 'after cooking' in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
- Squeeze out extra air.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.