This easy crockpot bbq chicken makes the most delicious, juicy pulled chicken…perfect for sandwiches, tacos, wraps, and pizza! Just 5 simple ingredients and freezer crockpot compatible!
Summer might not sound like prime time to rock your crock pot, but it’s actually the perfect time to have it out!
Using your slow cooker means that you can keep your oven off, and we all want to keep our houses as cool as possible, right?
With that in mind, this crockpot bbq chicken is the perfect summery meal to make in your slow cooker!
(psst! If this recipe looks familiar, it’s probably because it was part of our 7 Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes post, which has 7 freezable slow cooker chicken breast recipes)
This crockpot bbq chicken
- has only 5 simple ingredients
- can be used as a freezer crockpot recipe
- is perfect served in sandwiches, tacos, wraps and on pizza
- will keep your oven off!
How to assemble this slow cooker BBQ chicken ahead and freeze
Chicken breast freezer packs are a staple in my freezer and are an absolute lifesaver during busy weeks! Here’s how you can turn this slow cooker BBQ chicken into a freezer pack:
- Assemble the boneless skinless chicken breasts, BBQ sauce, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and chili powder in a gallon-sized freezer bag (or these awesome eco-friendly silicone freezer bags!).
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
So incredibly simple! When you’re ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely before placing everything in the slow cooker and cooking on low for 4 hours.
Can I swap the chicken breasts for chicken thighs? YES. I love cooking boneless skinless chicken thighs in my slow cooker! Low 4-5 hours will be great for chicken thighs.
Can I cook this crock pot BBQ chicken in my Instant Pot? I haven’t tried this and believe it *should* work, however there might be an issue with the BBQ sauce being too thick to generate steam. If you get a ‘burn’ message, try adding a bit of chicken stock or water to thin it out. And if you give this a try, I’d love for you to let me know how it turned out for you!
Can I half this crock pot BBQ chicken recipe? Yes, but you will need to cook in a smaller crock pot (2.5 quart). We simply cut the recipe in half and cook for the same amount of time, and it works great for our small family!
How can I serve this crockpot barbecue chicken?
This recipe is pretty versatile and I have a ton of ideas for you!
- served on a gourmet burger bun topped with a crunchy cabbage slaw
- served on pizza with pineapple, red onion, and extra barbecue sauce brushed on the crust (or on naan bread pizza!)
- served in a wrap or in tacos with crunchy cabbage slaw
- served as part of a ‘burrito bowl‘ with grilled vegetables
- use it for meal prep by swapping it out for the black beans and bbq vinaigrette in these Grilled Veggie Black Bean Meal Prep Bowls
Tips for perfect crockpot barbecue chicken:
- For making freezer packs: you can find my favorite baggie holders here, and the freezer bags I used here (MAKE SURE you get a good quality freezer bag, as you don’t want any leakage as it thaws!)
- Looking for more freezer slow cooker recipes? Check out this Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe, this Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken, and these Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in the base of a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and toss in the cooking liquid.