Crockpot white chicken chili is creamy, rich, hearty and full of flavor but lightened up a touch! With chicken, white beans, corn and green chiles, this recipe does not require sauteeing, and works great for meal prep.
When the weather cools down, chili is officially on rotation at our house! Some of my family's favorites include this Slow Cooker Smoky Turkey Chili, this Spicy Slow Cooker Chickpea Chili, and today's white chicken chili!
This white chicken chili is lightened up a bit, and it's also easy to prepare. No sauteeing means you can get dinner on to cook in 15 minutes or less, and also means you can meal prep it as a freezer crockpot meal!
Loaded with chicken, white beans, corn and green chiles, it is creamy and full of flavor, making it the perfect one-pot meal that the whole family will love.
Reasons you'll ♡ this crockpot white chicken chili
- it's healthier than the traditional version
- no sauteeing means easy prep
- it can be meal prepped in two different ways: cook ahead and reheat or assemble ahead and freeze
Still wondering how this recipe comes together? Take the guesswork out and watch the step by step directions in this 1-minute video. You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Let's talk ingredients!
- boneless skinless chicken thighs- you can also swap for boneless skinless chicken breast
- veggies- celery, onion, garlic and jalapeno
- canned goods- corn, green chiles and white beans- you can use cannellini or great northern white beans
- spices- ground cumin and ground coriander
- chicken stock- or homemade bone broth
- cream cheese- yes, this is an ingredient I don't normally use, but it adds some much needed flavor to the chili and we are using ¼ cup, which is a relatively small amount for the volume of chili that this recipe makes. Do not skip!
- lime- at the end, to brighten up the flavors!
Tips for the PERFECT chili
- big batch- this recipe makes 8 servings, but is freezer-friendly. If you'd like to cut the recipe in half, you can do so and cook in a small (2.5 quart) slow cooker.
- hack- after cooking, we remove our chicken to shred. Use an electric hand mixer to make this easy peasy
- blending- we are going to puree some of the white bean/veggie mixture with cream cheese to thicken. You will need a stand mixer or an immersion blender to do this step.
- freezer crockpot- this meal can be assembled before cooking and frozen for an easy freezer meal. Thaw completely and cook as directed.
How to thicken white chicken chili
The key to thickening this chili without adding a whole bunch of cream or other heavy ingredients, is to puree some of the white beans + veggies. We are also adding in some cream cheese for a flavor boost.
You can use a stand blender or an immersion blender to do this step.
Can I skip the cream cheese?
I tested this recipe using greek yogurt instead and guys...it just wasn't the same. It's only ¼ cup of cream cheese in a huge batch, and for me, I still consider this to be very healthy.
While I haven't tried, I think this would cook well in the Instant Pot.
I would try 10 minutes high pressure + 10 minutes natural pressure release, followed by shredding chicken and thickening it.
Let me know in the comments if you give it a try!
How to store this recipe
Leftover white chicken chili keeps amazingly well, and can be stored in the fridge or freezer!
- freezer- I like to portion out into 1 pint mason jars for single servings, or plastic freezer jars to fit 2+ servings. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- fridge- mason jars work well for single serving fridge storage, or a large meal prep container for multiple servings. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Find my favorite freezer equipment and other kitchen tools in my shop!
Load it up
My favorite toppings to add to this recipe are:
- lime wedges
- fresh avocado
- jalapeno slices
- tortilla strips
More slow cooker soups
- Roasted Red Pepper Chili
- Vegan Crockpot Chili
- Slow Cooker Potato Corn & Jalapeno Soup
- Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew
- Thai Slow Cooker Wild Rice Soup
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1 ½ lbs; see *)
- 38 oz white beans (2 cans; 540mL; cannellini or great northern; drain & rinse first)
- 4.3 oz can green chiles (127 mL)
- 11.5 oz can of corn kernels (340 mL; drained)
- 1 jalapeño (optional; seeds removed and finely chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
Just before serving
- ¼ cup cream cheese (2 oz; roughly ¼ of a block; cut into small cubes)
- 1 lime (juiced; 2 tablespoons)
- Greek yogurt
- Tortilla chips
- Place all 'slow cooker' ingredients in the base of a large slow cooker. Stir and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and transfer to a bowl. Shred with two forks or using a hand mixer. Keep chicken in the bowl while you complete step 3.
- Remove 2-3 cups of the chili (excluding chicken) and transfer to a blender. Add the cream cheese, then blend until smooth and no bits of cream cheese remain.
- Transfer the blender contents and shredded chicken back to the slow cooker along with the lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Serve with suggested toppings.
- Store cooked chili in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Freezer Crockpot Directions
- Assemble all 'slow cooker' ingredients in a sturdy freezer bag, reusable silicone bag, or large meal prep container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment