Crockpot white chicken chili is creamy, rich, hearty and full of flavor but lightened up a touch! With chicken, white beans, corn and green chiles, this recipe does not require sauteeing, and works great for meal prep.
While I love a good white chicken chili, I am turned off a bit by the heavy ingredients you will normally find in it. Enter this healthier crockpot white chicken chili: lighter but still hearty and full of flavor!
Not only is this slow cooker white chicken chili healthier, but it’s also easier! No sauteeing means you can get dinner on to cook in 15 minutes or less, and also means you can meal prep it as a freezer crockpot meal!
Loaded with chicken, white beans, corn and green chiles, this is the perfect one-pot meal that the whole family will love.
Reasons you’ll ♡ this crockpot white chicken chili
- it’s healthier than the traditional version
- no sauteeing means easy prep
- it can be meal prepped in two different ways: cook ahead and reheat or assemble ahead and freeze
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
What goes into slow cooker white chicken chili?
- boneless skinless chicken thighs– you can also swap for boneless skinless chicken breast
- veggies– celery, onion, garlic and jalapeno
- canned goods– corn, green chiles and white beans- you can use cannellini or great northern white beans
- spices– ground cumin and ground coriander
- chicken stock– or homemade bone broth
- cream cheese– yes, this is an ingredient I don’t normally use, but it adds some much needed flavor to the chili and we are using 1/4 cup, which is a relatively small amount for the volume of chili that this recipe makes. Do not skip!
- lime– at the end, to brighten up the flavors!
How to make this white bean chicken chili crock pot recipe
- Add the ingredients (reserve the cream cheese and lime juice) to a large crockpot. I use this 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl and shred.
- Remove 2-3 cups of chili (avoid any chicken pieces), and transfer to a blender with the cream cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Return chicken & blended chili to the slow cooker with the lime juice.
That’s it! Simple, delicious, and makes a big batch to enjoy for multiple meals.
How do you meal prep this white bean chicken chili crock pot recipe?
You can meal prep this white bean chicken chili crock pot recipe in one of two ways:
- Cook ahead– cook the recipe as directed and portion out for multiple meals. You can store in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Assemble ahead– combine all ingredients except for the cream cheese and lime juice and store in a freezer bag, a gallon-sized reusable silicone bag, or a large glass meal prep container (I am loving the 3 quart ones from Ikea). Store in the fridge for up to 4 days before cooking, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before cooking as directed in the recipe card.
Can I skip the cream cheese? I tested this recipe using greek yogurt instead and guys…it just wasn’t the same. It’s only 1/4 cup of cream cheese in a huge batch, and for me, I still consider this to be very healthy.
If you want to make this crockpot white chicken chili recipe dairy-free, I have not tried, but it is possible you could add some soaked cashews to the blender along with nutritional yeast as a swap…however I haven’t tried this and don’t know if it will be the same at all.
Can I cook this white chicken chili recipe in the Instant Pot? Probably, but I haven’t tried! Let me know in the comments if you give it a try!
Reasons you’ll ♡ this white chicken chili recipe crock pot recipe
- I have tested this recipe in my 6 quart slow cooker, but you can cut it in half and cook in a mini 2.5 quart slow cooker as well
- I used this Vitamix blender, but any blender should work fine
- Looking for more hearty chili recipes? Check out this Vegan Crockpot Chili, this Slow Cooker Smoky Turkey Chili or this Roasted Red Pepper Chili
Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1 1/2 lbs; see *)
- 38 oz white beans (2 cans; 540mL; cannellini or great northern; drain & rinse first)
- 4.3 oz can green chiles (127 mL)
- 11.5 oz can of corn kernels (340 mL; drained)
- 1 jalapeño (optional; seeds removed and finely chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
Just before serving
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (2 oz; roughly 1/4 of a block; cut into small cubes)
- 1 lime (juiced; 2 tablespoons)
- Greek yogurt
- Tortilla chips
- Place all 'slow cooker' ingredients in the base of a large slow cooker. Stir and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and transfer to a bowl. Shred with two forks or using a hand mixer. Keep chicken in the bowl while you complete step 3.
- Remove 2-3 cups of the chili (excluding chicken) and transfer to a blender. Add the cream cheese, then blend until smooth and no bits of cream cheese remain.
- Transfer the blender contents and shredded chicken back to the slow cooker along with the lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Serve with suggested toppings.
- Store cooked chili in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Freezer Crockpot Directions
- Assemble all 'slow cooker' ingredients in a sturdy freezer bag, reusable silicone bag, or large meal prep container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.