This vegan slow cooker potato corn soup is an easy and deceptively healthy. Easy to prep ahead and re-heat for easy lunches.
Sometimes I think I would love to live on the equator where I never have to deal with the Canadian winter, where the palm trees are abundant and I’d never have to wear my coat.
But then I think of how much I’d miss the changing seasons. Don’t you love this time of year? The winter is officially over, the days are longer, the temperatures are rising ever so slightly and you get that ‘feeling’.
The optimistic feeling where you still have the entire spring and summer ahead of you and the possibilities are endless. You know what I mean?
While I haven’t sorted our spring or summer plans yet (at all!) I am loving the change in seasons for the change in produce and the shift from comfort foods to lighter meals.
And today’s slow cooker potato corn soup recipe is actually kind of a ‘bridge’ between the heavy winter foods, and a lighter spring recipe. Since it’s a soup, it will still warm you right up, but since it’s healthy, you won’t feel heavy at all.
Today’s recipe is brought to you in partnership with Almond Breeze, which is a wonderful milk and dairy alternative. Using Almond Breeze almond beverage in this recipe adds a boost of creaminess, with a fraction of the calories. You still get a healthy serving of calcium and vitamin D (and let’s face it, we can use all the vitamin D we can get after the winter, right?). And you can find Almond Breeze products right in the refrigerated section of the grocery store!
I have a sneaky trick up my sleeve to make this slow cooker potato corn soup extra creamy without actually adding cream. After cooking up the soup ingredients, I removed the majority of the potatoes, and mashed them up with the Almond Breeze before returning them to the soup.
This way the soup ends up quite hearty in texture, but not actually in calories.
I just loved this slow cooker potato corn soup: It has some sweetness from the corn and a touch of spice from the jalapeños. It is very thick and chunky, but we also enjoyed a soupier version (we added 2 extra cups of stock to the slow cooker, see note).
It is SO easy to make: just dump everything in the slow cooker and you can walk away for 6-8 hours.
It is healthy, but totally feels like you are eating something more indulgent.
And because I used Almond Breeze almond beverage, it is dairy-free and vegan.
What do you think? Is spring off to a great start, or what?
Disclosure: Thank-you to Almond Breeze for sponsoring this post! As always, all opinions remain my own.
- Looking for more soup recipes? Try this Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup, this Butternut Squash Soup Recipe or this Healthier Beef Barley Soup
Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Corn Soup (Vegan)
- 6 cups yellow fleshed potatoes cut into large chunks
- 2 cans corn (700 mL/ 22 oz total)
- 2 jalapeños deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups stock
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened Almond Beverage
- Juice of 1 lime
- chives optional garnish
- Place the yellow potatoes, corn, jalapeños, salt, cumin, oregano, ground coriander and stock in a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Prior to serving:
- Scoop out 6 cups of potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the Almond Breeze Original (Unsweetened) Almond Beverage, and mash until potatoes are almost smooth (still a bit chunky).
- Return to the pot along with the lime juice.
- Taste and add salt and extra stock (see note) if needed.
More healthy corn soup recipes for us!