Vegan crockpot chili that can be assembled ahead and frozen for a crockpot freezer meal! With sweet potatoes, corn, black beans and spices, this one seriously tasty chili recipe!
One of my all-time favorite comfort foods is a big bowl of chili. I love that you can squeeze a whole bunch of veggies in there, and love even more that a good vegan chili can rival a meaty one.
This vegan crockpot chili is my new favorite recipe! It has sweet potatoes, corn, kidney beans and a ton of spices that make it insanely delicious.
BUT my favorite thing about this recipe is the fact that you don’t need to sautee anything…just dump everything right into the crockpot and press ‘start’!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
We love this vegan crockpot chili because
- it’s vegan, gluten-free, and full of wholesome, nutritious ingredients
- you don’t need to sautee anything so you can just dump everything into the slow cooker
- it makes a seriously delicious freezer crockpot meal!
How to make it
I just hate having to pre-cook things before cooking in the slow cooker, and am so happy that this vegan chili has plenty of flavor without the sautee step!
Simply combine your ingredients right in the slow cooker, give it a good stir, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
After 6-8 hours, your sweet potatoes will be so tender they almost dissolve into the chili, thickening it and adding so much flavor.
Serve with your favorite chili toppings: tortilla chips, avocado, cheese (or vegan cheese) and greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt). YUM!!
Make ahead and freeze
Crockpot freezer meals are a staple in my freezer and are an absolute lifesaver during busy weeks! Here’s how you can turn this recipe into a crockpot freezer recipe:
- Assemble all ingredients in a gallon freezer bag. * I am looking for an eco-friendly alternative to this and so far have only found lower volume reusable bags 🙁
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
So incredibly simple! When you’re ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely before placing everything in the slow cooker and cooking as directed.
What can I serve with it? I like to serve mine with tortilla strips, fresh avocado, cheese and/or yogurt.
Can I swap the black beans? Sure! I have also used kidney beans in this vegan chili recipe and it turned out great.
Can I freeze it after cooking? YES! It freeze/thaws like a dream. I like freezing in quart-sized jars (4 cup/2 pint), or these re-usable plastic freezer jars. Add one of these reusable labels and you are all set!
Can I cook it in the Instant Pot? Yes! Check out Instant Pot vegetarian chili (same recipe, slightly different name).
Tips & equipment
- I tested this recipe in my 2.5 quart (half batch) and 6 quart (full batch) Crock Pot brand slow cookers
- for freezing, you may need gallon freezer bags, quart-sized jars or these re-usable plastic freezer jars, and reusable labels
- looking for more vegan freezer meals? Check out this Vegan African Peanut Stew, this Instant Pot Chickpea Curry, and this Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Lentil Curry
Vegan Crockpot Chili
- 19 oz can diced tomatoes (including juices)
- 19 oz can black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 12 oz can corn kernels (drained)
- 13 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sweet potato cubes (1 1/2- 2 inches)
- 1 onion (diced)
- Combine all ingredients in the base of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with cheese (or vegan cheese), tortilla chips, yogurt (or coconut yogurt), and avocado.
To assemble ahead and freeze
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy duty gallon-sized freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat, then store upright in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking using directions above.