Sticky slow cooker honey garlic chicken thighs are simple to throw together and have a deliciously sticky sweet and savory sauce that is perfect for spooning over rice and vegetables. Perfect as a weeknight dinner or meal prep recipe.
When it comes to chicken, nothing beats a deliciously sticky sauce, right?
This slow cooker honey garlic chicken has a sticky sweet and savory honey garlic sauce that gives the chicken so much flavor, and is perfect for spooning over rice and veggies!
And the surprising thing is that it has pretty ‘normal’ ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
Not only that, but by using boneless skinless chicken thighs and using only a teaspoon of oil, this honey garlic chicken recipe is actually on the healthier side!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
How to make this recipe ahead and freeze it
Chicken freezer packs are a staple in my freezer and are an absolute lifesaver during busy weeks! Here’s how you can turn this Crock Pot honey garlic chicken thighs recipe into a freezer slow cooker recipe:
- Assemble the boneless skinless chicken thighs and all other ingredients in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
So incredibly simple! When you’re ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely before placing everything in the Crock Pot and cooking as directed.
How to make honey garlic chicken thighs in the slow cooker
Like the majority of my slow cooker recipes, this one has no pre-cooking whatsoever. That means all you need to do is assemble your ingredients in the slow cooker, press start, and walk away!
Let’s discuss the ingredients:
- boneless skinless chicken thighs- I prefer chicken thighs in the slow cooker as they don’t tend to dry out and they hold together a lot better. Bone in should be OK in this recipe, but skin on will end up with a very fatty honey garlic sauce so I don’t recommend it.
- honey- for a bit of sweetness
- garlic- LOTS of it! 6 cloves minced, and you can even add more if you’d like!
- soy sauce- for the savory factor. I always use reduced sodium and highly recommend it for this recipe. You can also swap for coconut aminos if you’d like a gluten-free/paleo-compliant version of this recipe
- apple cider vinegar- gives a bit of a tangy flavor to these honey garlic chicken thighs. We love Bragg’s and always have it on hand
- sesame oil- for a tiny bit more dimension
- Worcestershire sauce- because the sauce needed a little more pizzaz and this was totally the missing ingredient!
Not only were these Crock Pot honey garlic chicken thighs delicious as a weeknight dinner, but they made for a ridiculously delicious meal prep lunch option as well!
I served my sticky honey garlic chicken thighs with sauteed broccoli and snap peas over a scoop of quinoa. Delish!
How can I make this honey garlic chicken paleo/gluten-free/in the Instant Pot?
Here are some swaps you can make:
- swap the boneless skinless chicken thighs for boneless (or bone-in) chicken breast. Just be cautious not to overcook!
- make it paleo- swap the soy sauce for coconut aminos and make your own paleo-compliant Worcestershire sauce
- make it gluten-free- swap the soy sauce for coconut aminos or tamari
- make it in the Instant Pot- cook for 10 minutes high pressure followed by a quick pressure release. Add the cornstarch/water mixture and cook on ‘sautee’ for 2 minutes or until thickened
Tips for deliciously sticky slow cooker honey garlic chicken thighs:
- Important: this recipe has only been tested in my small 2.5 quart Crock Pot. I am not sure if it would cook the same in a larger 5 quart crockpot, it may cook quite a bit faster and you will need to keep an eye on it to make sure the honey garlic sauce does not burn.
- For making freezer packs: you can find my favorite baggie holders here, and the freezer bags I used here (MAKE SURE you get a good quality freezer bag, as you don’t want any leakage as it thaws!)
- Looking for more freezer slow cooker recipes? Check out this Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken, this Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken, and this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chicken Curry
Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- green onion to garnish
- Place all ingredients not marked 'after cooking' into the base of a 2.5 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours
- Mix together the water & cornstarch, then stir into the slow cooker. Turn the heat to high and cook for 30 more minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve over rice, spooning the sauce over everything. Garnish with green onions.
To assemble ahead and freeze:
- Place all ingredients not marked 'after cooking' into a gallon sized freezer bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible, and freeze flat for up to 3 months.
- To cook, thaw completely before cooking according to directions above.