Sticky slow cooker honey garlic chicken thighs are simple to throw together and have a deliciously sticky sweet and savory sauce that is perfect for spooning over rice and vegetables. Great as a weeknight dinner or meal prep recipe.
The slow cooker can be such a dinner lifesaver! When it comes to chicken, we have crock pot teriyaki chicken and crock pot BBQ chicken on repeat- they are simple ‘dump’ recipes that are flavorful and kid-friendly.
This sticky slow cooker honey garlic chicken is another meal that is on repeat. It is loved by all, and we can also make it in the oven or in the Instant Pot.
Reasons you’ll ♡ slow cooker honey garlic chicken
- no sautéing means you can get the ingredients into the slow cooker quickly
- it has a delicious, sticky sauce that you can spoon over everything
- you can meal prep it in 2 different ways (details below)
Watch the video below to see how simple it is to throw this recipe together. It’s so easy! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
Ingredients you’ll need
- chicken thighs– I recommend boneless skinless chicken thighs as they won’t release much fat into the sauce as they cook. You may swap for boneless skinless chicken breasts and reduce the cook time to 3-4 hours on low.
- honey– adds the sweetness to this sauce; in a pinch you could swap for maple syrup
- soy sauce– I prefer reduced sodium soy sauce as it is not so salty; for gluten-free use tamari or coconut aminos
- garlic– adds flavor and dimension to the sauce
- apple cider vinegar– brings out a subtle tanginess; swap for rice vinegar if you don’t have apple cider vinegar
- worcestershire sauce– adds umami and enhances all the flavors in the sauce- do not skip!
- sesame oil– adds a subtle layer of flavor
- cornstarch– to thicken the sauce at the end of cook time
Cooking this recipe
The beauty of this slow cooker honey garlic chicken thighs recipe is that there is no saute step. This means you can get the recipe into the slow cooker and ready to cook in under 10 minutes!
To cook the recipe, assemble the honey, soy sauce, garlic, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce and sesame oil in the base of the slow cooker. Stir to combine, then add the chicken thighs. Turn to coat, then cook the recipe on low for 3-4 hours.
Thickening the sauce
During the last hour of cook time, we will thicken the sauce by making a cornstarch slurry. Combine the cornstarch with a few tablespoons of cold water, mix to combine, and stir into the slow cooker.
Place the lid back onto the slow cooker quickly- you do not want to leave the lid off for extended amounts of time as this will mean it takes longer for the slow cooker to come back up to temperature.
Set the slow cooker to ‘high’ and cook for 30 min- 1 hour more. Sauce should bubble and thicken.
Adding vegetables to the sauce
You have the option of adding vegetables to the slow cooker when you add the cornstarch slurry. Make sure you fully mix the cornstarch into the sauce, then scatter vegetables over top. Do not stir in.
Our favorite vegetables to add in are broccoli and cauliflower florets, as well as green beans. Note that if you add in frozen vegetables, your sauce may take longer to thicken.
Halving the recipe
You may cut this recipe in half, however I highly recommend using a smaller slow cooker if you do so. Otherwise you run the risk of the sauce over-reducing and burning. Also, your chicken will not be as immersed in the sauce and may end up dryer.
If you are looking for a smaller crockpot, we love this 2.5 quart slow cooker and use it all the time!
This is a great recipe for meal prep, and you have two options to prep it ahead:
1. Cook ahead and reheat
You can cook this recipe all the way through, portion out with rice and vegetables in meal prep containers, and store in the fridge (4 days) or freezer (3 months).
Reheat in the microwave until steaming hot, and enjoy!
Find my favorite meal prep containers here!
2. Freezer crockpot meals
This kind of meal is assembled ahead but not cooked. Then when you go to cook, simply dump the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook as directed (no measuring required!)
- Assemble the boneless skinless chicken thighs and all other ingredients in a gallon-sized freezer bag, meal prep container or reusable silicone bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
More slow cooker chicken recipes
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Crockpot Tacos
- 7 No Sautee Chicken Breast Recipes
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Lime Shredded Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- green onion to garnish
- Place all ingredients not marked 'after cooking' into the base of a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours
- Mix together the water & cornstarch, then stir into the slow cooker. Turn the heat to high and cook for 30-60 more minutes, or until thickened. see note 1
- Serve over rice, spooning the sauce over everything. Garnish with green onions.
To assemble ahead and freeze:
- Place all ingredients not marked 'after cooking' into a gallon sized freezer bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible, and freeze flat for up to 3 months.
- To cook, thaw completely before cooking according to directions above.