This turmeric yellow rice is full of aromatic flavors and makes an elegant side dish! It is simple to make and can be cooked in a rice cooker or on the stove top.
Is rice a staple in your house? It is most certainly a staple in ours. We eat rice 2-3 times per week, and I’m on a mission to jazz it up a bit…no more boring plain rice!
This turmeric yellow rice is one of my favorites in the bunch, and it was my 4-year old Kai’s favorite recipe. He always asks if we can have the ‘yellow rice’ again…how I love to hear that!
Not only is it delicious, but it’s super easy to throw together. Traditional yellow rice recipes require chopping and sauteeing, but I’ve cut a few corners so that we can have this prepped and cooking in under 5 minutes, and we can even make it in the rice cooker, too!
Want to see exactly how to cook this turmeric rice? Watch this 1-minute video! You can find more recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Looking for rice recipes? Check out this post with 7 Easy Rice Recipes!
How to make yellow rice
Like the other rice recipes in this series, you don’t need to chop or sautee anything, and you can cook it either in a rice cooker (I love the Aroma 8 Cup Rice Cooker) or in a pot.
- Rinse rice under the tap using a colander. Honestly? I skip this half the time. But for the fluffiest rice, I recommend rinsing.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot (with minimum capacity of 8 cups), or a rice cooker (I love the Aroma 8 Cup Rice Cooker)
- Cook! If you are using a rice cooker, just press the ‘white rice’ button. If you are using the stove top method, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer (covered) for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand (covered) for another 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Can I use jasmine rice in this recipe? Brown rice? Any other rice?
For this yellow rice recipe, any long grain white rice will do (basmati or jasmine). Brown rice can be used but adjust the liquid and cook time according to the package. Short grain white rice or par-boiled/pre-cooked rice won’t work in this recipe.
Can I freeze it?
YES. This rice recipe freezes well. You can freeze it in meal prep containers or in freezer bags (I love these re-usable silicone freezer bags!). Some people add a little bit of water when re-heating freeze/thawed rice, as it does end up slightly dryer than fresh rice.
Can I cook this recipe in the Instant Pot? I have not tried. I would refer to this recipe for Instant Pot Yellow Rice.
Can I use cauliflower rice? Yes! Check out this Golden Turmeric Cauliflower Rice Recipe!
Yellow rice pairs well with many flavors, including Mediterranean, Indian and Asian recipes. Here are some ideas:
- Ginger Lemon Chicken Marinade
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin with Soy Ginger Sauce
- A salad tossed in this 5 Minute Asian Salad Dressing
- This Herb Crusted Broiled Salmon
- I recommend rinsing your rice under the tap through a collander
- I love the Aroma 8 Cup Rice Cooker, but if you have a large family, you might want to consider the Aroma 20 Cup Rice Cooker
- Looking for more rice recipes? Check out this Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf, this Saffron Rice Recipe, or this post with all 7 Easy Rice Recipes
Turmeric Yellow Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice note 1
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric note 2
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder note 3
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups stock chicken or vegetable
- Before cooking, rinse the rice in a colander under the tap, or by covering with water, swirling, and carefully decanting (repeat 2-3 times until water becomes clear).
- In a medium pot, combine the rinsed basmati rice with the coconut oil, turmeric, ground ginger, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and stock.
- Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for another 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and serving.
- Combine the basmati rice with the coconut oil, turmeric, ground ginger, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and stock.
- Cook using the 'white rice' function (or regular function if there is not a white rice option).
- Once the cook time is up, fluff with a fork and enjoy!
- store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days
- freeze in a meal prep container or bag for up to 3 months
- heat until steaming hot in the microwave; do not reheat more than once