This easy coconut rice recipe has deliciously subtle coconut flavor, and has a beautiful, sticky texture. Perfect served with tropical or Asian recipes.
I wish this coconut rice recipe was a little prettier to look at because OH MY GOODNESS does it ever taste amazing?
If you haven’t tried coconut rice, what are you waiting for? It is simple to prep, and gives it such a delicious flavor. The coconut is subtle and gives the rice a really awesome sticky texture. So yum!
I am loving our latest 7 flavors post with 7 Easy Rice Recipes, because it has really kicked us out of our ‘boring rice’ rut.
I think out of all the flavors, this coconut rice is my favorite, because not only does it have amazing flavor, but it goes with a lot of recipes: tropical Caribbean flavors.
Looking for rice recipes? Check out this post with 7 Easy Rice Recipes!
How to make coconut rice
Like the other rice recipes in this series, you don’t need to chop or sautee anything, and you can cook it either in a rice cooker (I love the Aroma 8 Cup Rice Cooker) or in a pot.
- Rinse rice under the tap using a colander. Honestly? I skip this half the time. But for the fluffiest rice, I recommend rinsing.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot (with minimum capacity of 4 cups), or a rice cooker (I love the Aroma 8 Cup Rice Cooker)
- Cook! If you are using a rice cooker, just press the ‘white rice’ button. If you are using the stove top method, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer (covered) for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand (covered) for another 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Can I use jasmine rice in this recipe? Brown rice? Any other rice? Jasmine rice is typically used in coconut rice and I believe would be interchangeable with basmati for this recipe. Brown rice can be used but adjust the liquid and cook time according to the package. Par-boiled/pre-cooked rice won’t work in this recipe.
Can I freeze coconut rice? YES. This rice recipe freezes well. You can freeze it in meal prep containers or in freezer bags (I love these re-usable silicone freezer bags!). Some people add a little bit of water when re-heating freeze/thawed rice, as it does end up slightly dryer than fresh rice.
Can I cook this recipe in the Instant Pot? I have not tried. I would refer to this recipe for Instant Pot Coconut Rice.
What goes well with this coconut milk rice?
My favorite thing about this recipe is how well it goes with so many different flavors! Here are some suggestions:
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Chili Lime Chicken Skewers with Mango Sauce
- Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Sweet Chili Salmon
Tips for the perfect coconut rice
- I recommend rinsing your rice under the tap through a collander
- I love the Aroma 8 Cup Rice Cooker, but if you have a large family, you might want to consider the Aroma 20 Cup Rice Cooker
- Looking for more rice recipes? Check out this Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf, this Mexican Rice Recipe, or this post with all 7 Easy Rice Recipes
Coconut Rice Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 13.5 oz coconut milk (400 mL; full fat)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups water
- In a medium pot, combine the basmati rice and all other ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for another 10 minutes before fluffing up with a fork.
- Combine the basmati rice and all other ingredients.
- Cook using the 'white rice' function (or regular function if there is not a white rice option).
- Once the cook time is up, fluff with a fork and enjoy!