Slow cooker lemon garlic chicken thighs are simmered in a buttery sauce that is perfect for spooning over rice and vegetables. Low carb and gluten-free. Assemble ahead and freeze as a freezer crockpot meal!
These slow cooker lemon garlic chicken thighs are a new and improved version of a 2017 recipe. I’ve tweaked the sauce to have more flavor, and be even easier to prepare. They are still easy for meal prep as a freezer crockpot meal!
Is there any better flavor combo than lemon and garlic? How about if we throw a little butter in there? Am I speaking your love language yet? ♡
This crockpot lemon chicken has all of this, without being overly heavy and greasy, and without too much of a sour lemon taste. Just the right amount of everything!
Not only that, but because it is a ‘no saute’ slow cooker recipe, it takes only 10 minutes to get it on to cook, and you can even assemble your ingredients ahead and freeze as a freezer crockpot meal.
Reasons you’ll love this slow cooker lemon garlic chicken
- butter. lemon. garlic.
- it’s low carb and a lighter option than many other lemon chicken recipes out there
- no sauteeing required and can be assembled as a freezer crockpot meal
How to make crockpot lemon chicken
For this recipe I recommend boneless skinless chicken thighs because they end up nice and juicy, but don’t let off a ton of fat the way bone-in skin-on chicken thighs do.
Here’s how to make crockpot lemon chicken
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker: chicken thighs, chicken stock (or homemade bone broth), white wine, lemon zest, salt, basil, garlic, and chicken bouillon (I like using Better than Bouillon)
- Stir up, scatter 1 1/2 tablespoon butter (cut into cubes) over top.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Stir in the juice of 1/2 a lemon and enjoy!
Can I thicken the sauce for this slow cooker lemon chicken? Sure, but I recommend you transfer the sauce to a pot. Stir in a slurry of 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water, and simmer until thickened.
Can I skip the bouillon? You can, but the sauce will be lacking in flavor a little bit.
Can I add vegetables to the slow cooker? Yes, vegetables like green beans or asparagus go well with this crockpot lemon garlic chicken. I would scatter across the top (don’t stir in) 1 hour before serving.
What should I serve with lemon crockpot chicken thighs? These flavors go nicely with so many options. Let me pick my favorites for you!
- Steamed veggies- I served this recipe with steamed broccoli. Find out how to cook broccoli. It also goes nicely with fresh peas, steamed green beans or steamed asparagus.
- Potatoes– we are loving these Crispy Grilled Potatoes, and they’d go great with this slow cooker lemon chicken.
- Rice or Cauliflower Rice– find 7 Easy Rice Recipes and 7 Cauliflower Rice Recipes for a ton of flavor ideas.
- Side salad– we are pretty obsessed with this Staple Kale Salad.
How to assemble as a crockpot freezer meal
Crockpot freezer meals are a staple in my freezer and they make cooking dinner SO easy!
Here’s how it works:
- assemble all ingredients in a sturdy gallon freezer bag or large glass meal prep container (Ikea has 3 quart ones that will fit this meal!)
- freeze for up to 3 months
- thaw completely before cooking as directed above
How simple is that?!
Tips & Equipment for perfect lemon crockpot chicken thighs
Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
Add to the Slow Cooker
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 lemon (zested; roughly 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillion (I recommend Better than Bouillon)
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
30 Minutes Before Serving
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- parsley (garnish)
- lemon slices (garnish)
- Combine the garlic, salt, basil, lemon, chicken stock, bouillon and white wine to the base of a slow cooker. Stir together until no lumps remain.
- Add the chicken thighs to the slow cooker and turn to coat in sauce.
- Scatter butter cubes evenly over top.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Stir in lemon juice just before serving.
Freezer Crockpot instructions
- Assemble all ingredients except for the lemon juice in a freezer bag or reusable silicone bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.