Parmesan cauliflower rice is a simple but flavor-packed side dish! Simple to prepare, low carb, gluten-free and pairs well with Italian flavors.
It's so fun revisiting the flavors from my 7 Cauliflower Rice Recipes post, and this parmesan cauliflower rice is one of my favorites from the whole bunch!
It looks like normal plain jane cauliflower rice, but this recipe has so. much. flavor.
With 5 simple ingredients, you can rice your cauliflower ahead (or use store-bought cauliflower rice), making this recipe a 5 minute meal on weeknights!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
You're going to love this parmesan cauliflower rice because
- it looks unassuming but has SO MUCH FLAVOR!
- it is low carb and gluten-free
- you can rice the cauliflower ahead making this a 5 minute meal when it comes time to cook
How to make it
NOTE- this recipe was tested with homemade cauliflower rice. Store-bought cauliflower rice can vary in size and you may need to adjust the cook time accordingly.
- Heat oil in pan. Add the riced cauliflower, salt and garlic powder.
- Sautee 3-5 minutes, or until the cauliflower rice is done to your liking.
- Stir in parmesan cheese until melted. Enjoy!
Check out this post for more information on How to Make Cauliflower Rice (including a video demo and information on how to store it for meal prep).
Can I swap the parmesan for another type of cheese? Yes. I would stick to cheese similar to parmesan. Pecorino Romano and Grana Padano are two options I enjoy.
Can I prep this recipe ahead for meal prep? Yes! After cooking, you can store in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. You might want to undercook slightly before freezing as it softens as it thaws. Another tip for freezing is to reheat in a skillet so some of the moisture can evaporate.
What goes well with it? This recipe goes well with a number of flavors, particular Italian ones.
Here’s how I serve it:
- Chicken Breast– It goes really well with the flavors of this Instant Pot Creamy Lemon Chicken Breast recipe.
- Salmon– the parmesan would go nicely with the herbs in this Herb Crusted Broiled Salmon!
- Side salad– we love it with a simple salad tossed in our favorite Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe.
- Roasted Veggies– these Honey Roasted Carrots go great with the parmesan flavors!
Tips & equipment
- I used my 7 Cup Food Processor to rice my cauliflower, but you can also use a box grater and do it by hand
- This is my ceramic non-stick greenpan
- Looking for more cauliflower rice recipes? Check out this Coconut Cauliflower Rice, this Turmeric Golden Cauliflower Rice and this Lemon Garlic Cauliflower Rice
- For traditional rice recipes, check out these 7 Easy Rice Recipes!
Parmesan Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 4 cups riced cauliflower
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (or 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
To rice cauliflower
- Wash cauliflower and pat dry.
- Remove outer leaves; break down the head of cauliflower into uniform pieces (1-2 inch florets). Include stems!
- Working in 2-3 batches, place florets into a 7 cup food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Pulse 10-15 times, until cauliflower is in small rice-sized pieces. Remove any full florets that may remain.
To cook cauliflower rice
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add riced cauliflower, salt and garlic powder to the pan.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, until cauliflower is slightly soft but not mushy.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
- You can store riced cauliflower (uncooked for up to 10 days in the fridge, or up to 3 months in the freezer).
- You can store cooked cauliflower rice in the fridge for up to 4 days.