Crock pot stuffed peppers recipe with only five ingredients! You can prep this ground turkey stuffed peppers recipe with less than 15 minutes of effort…you can even freeze it ahead and thaw when ready to cook for a freezer crock pot meal.
I think you probably know this by now but man, do I ever love food!
Mostly, I love discovering new recipes that are so simple, yet so full of flavor, and I wonder why I have taken so long to try them…and these crock pot stuffed peppers are one of these recipes!
I was testing out these stuffed peppers for our next Meal Prep Challenge, but was so completely blown away by the ease, versatility and flavor you can pack into these ground turkey stuffed peppers.
Reasons to love these Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers
- they have only 5 ingredients
- you can have them prepped with under 15 minutes worth of effort
- you can make simple swaps to make them low carb or vegetarian
- they have so much flavor!
How to make ground turkey stuffed peppers
If you are looking for an easy dinner, you have found your recipe! I kept the ingredients list nice and short, but you could definitely add in some extras (see my suggestions below!)
Here’s how to make these ground turkey stuffed peppers:
- Cook your rice! We need 2 cups so around 3/4 cup uncooked rice. I tested these peppers with basmati and brown rice and either works. If you will freeze, I recommend brown rice as it holds up slightly better (but basmati was still yummy after freezing!).
- Poke a few holes near the bottom of the peppers: we found the peppers filled with liquid during cooking, and by poking a few small holes near the bottom using toothpicks, they were able to drain and were much more enjoyable to eat!
- Cut the lids off the peppers; I cut around the tops to keep as much bell pepper as possible but leaving a big enough hole to scoop the filling in.
- Mix together your filling: cooked & cooled rice, ground turkey, taco seasoning and cheese.
- Spoon filling into bell peppers: this recipe filled 6 bell peppers perfectly for me.
Can you freeze slow cooker stuffed peppers?
YES! Guys, these ground turkey stuffed peppers are absolutely perfect for Meal Prep Sunday, because you can stuff them ahead and store in the fridge for 2-3 days before cooking OR you can freeze them (uncooked), and thaw before cooking.
Here’s how I froze my slow cooker stuffed peppers:
- after spooning the filling into the bell peppers, I froze uncovered on a baking sheet
- then I transferred to a heavy duty freezer bag (labeled with the date & contents)
- I thawed completely before cooking as directed
Guess what? They tasted AMAZING after freeze/thawing! The bell peppers maintained some texture and the rice was not overly soft either.
What to serve with these crockpot stuffed peppers? These guys are deceptively filling! I thought I’d need a side dish to go alongside with it, but found them to be really filling on their own. I suggest serving with fresh tomatoes or salsa, sour cream or greek yogurt, and avocado. You could also serve with a few tortilla chips!
Can I cook these slow cooker stuffed peppers in the Instant Pot? Yes you can! I am currently working out the cook time and will be sure to link to the recipe when it’s ready for you!
Can I make these slow cooker stuffed peppers low carb? Yes! Simply omit the rice. I don’t recommend replacing with cauliflower rice as it can get soft and soggy during cooking. You can add other toppings after the bell peppers finish cooking, like avocado, salsa, and sour cream.
Can I make these crockpot stuffed peppers vegetarian? Yes! Swap the turkey for 2 cups of black beans. This recipe is delicious made with black beans! I found the cheese pretty important for flavor and have not tried this recipe with vegan cheese, but it may be an option.
Tips for the BEST slow cooker stuffed peppers
- I used my favorite new 6 quart Crock Pot, which perfectly fit 6 stuffed peppers
- all slow cookers cook differently, so if you know your slow cooker needs more time than 4 hours on low, definitely increase the cook time!
- don’t forget to poke holes near the bottoms of the peppers so they don’t fill with liquid
- looking for more meal prep slow cooker recipes? Check out these 7 Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes, this Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe, these Crockpot Chicken Fajitas, and this round up with Crockpot Freezer Meals
Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 2 cups basmati or brown rice (cooked; roughly 3/4 cups uncooked)
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups cheese (shredded; mozzarella or cheddar work)
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- fresh tomatoes or salsa
- avocado slices
- fresh green onions or cilantro
- tortilla chips
- Cook rice according to package directions; set aside to cool.
- Cut tops off bell peppers so that you have a 1.5-2 inch hole in the tops.
- Using a toothpick, poke a few holes towards the bottom of the bell peppers.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cooled rice, ground turkey, taco seasoning and 1 1/4 cups of cheese.
- Spoon filling into the bell peppers.
- Arrange filled bell peppers in a 6 quart slow cooker; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until cooked through.
To assemble ahead and freeze:
- Follow steps 1-4 above.
- Arrange stuffed bell peppers on a baking sheet or in a baking dish with rims (so they don't fall over).
- Freeze 3 hours- overnight before transferring to a large freezer bag. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- To cook: thaw completely before cooking as directed above.