Instant Pot ground turkey stuffed peppers have 5 simple ingredients and are perfect for meal prep! So quick to cook up in the Instant Pot when you’re ready.
If these Instant Pot ground turkey stuffed peppers look familiar, it’s because they were part of our September Freezer Meal Prep Challenge! Not only that, but I’ve shared the Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers Recipe here.
Today, we’re talking Instant Pot, and honestly, I think I like cooking these turkey stuffed peppers in the Instant Pot even more than the slow cooker…they take just 12 minutes (plus time to come to pressure)!
Reasons to love these Instant Pot ground turkey stuffed peppers
- they have just five ingredients
- you can make swaps to make them vegan or low carb
- you can make them ahead and freeze them!
How to make ground turkey stuffed peppers with rice
We’re keeping it super simple with these stuffed peppers! Just a few simple ingredients including cooked rice, ground turkey, taco seasoning, bell peppers and cheese.
Here’s how to make these turkey stuffed peppers with rice:
- Cook your rice! We need 2 cups so around 3/4 cup uncooked rice. I tested these peppers with basmati and brown rice and either works. If you will freeze, I recommend brown rice as it holds up slightly better (but basmati was still yummy after freezing!).
- Poke a few holes near the bottom of the peppers: we found the peppers filled with liquid during cooking, and by poking a few small holes near the bottom using toothpicks, they were able to drain and were much more enjoyable to eat!
- Cut the lids off the peppers; I cut around the tops to keep as much bell pepper as possible but leaving a big enough hole to scoop the filling in.
- Mix together your filling: cooked & cooled rice, raw ground turkey, taco seasoning and cheese.
- Spoon filling into bell peppers: this recipe filled 6 bell peppers perfectly for me.
* At this point, you can either freeze your peppers for up to 3 months, or you can cook them right away.
How to cook Instant Pot stuffed peppers
To cook these Instant Pot stuffed peppers, you may need to work in batches (since the 6 quart Instant Pot only fit 4 peppers for me).
- Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot
- Place your trivet on top
- Arrange your bell peppers on the trivet
- Pressure cook for 12 minutes
- Do a quick pressure relase
Can I make these healthy stuffed peppers vegan? YES! Swap the turkey for a 2 cups of black beans, and use vegan cheese.
Can I make these healthy stuffed peppers low carb? YES! Omit the rice, and reduce the taco seasoning by 1 tablespoon; you may only be able to fill 3-4 peppers. I wouldn’t swap the rice for cauliflower rice, as it will overcook and become quite mushy.
Tips & Equipment for Healthy Stuffed Peppers
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot; this recipe also works fine in a 6 quart Instant Pot
- You may need to cook your peppers in batches; use the same cook time whether you are cooking 1 pepper or 4.
- Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Try this Instant Pot Chickpea Curry, these Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats, or this Freezer Asian Peanut Chicken
Instant Pot Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups basmati or brown rice (cooked; roughly 3/4 cups uncooked)
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups cheese (shredded; mozzarella or cheddar work)
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- fresh tomatoes or salsa
- avocado slices
- fresh green onions or cilantro
- tortilla chips
- Cook rice according to package directions; set aside to cool.
- Cut tops off bell peppers so that you have a 1.5-2 inch hole in the tops.
- Pull out the membranes and seeds from inside the peppers.
- Using a toothpick, poke a few holes towards the bottom of the bell peppers.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cooled rice, ground turkey, taco seasoning and 1 1/4 cups of cheese.
- Spoon filling into the bell peppers.
- In the base of a 6 quart Instant Pot, add 1 cup of water, then place the trivet on top. Arrange filled bell peppers on top of the trivet; sprinkle with remaining cheese. (you can probably only fit 4 peppers in at a time)
- Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes, or until cooked through.
To assemble ahead and freeze:
- Follow steps 1-6 above.
- Arrange stuffed bell peppers on a baking sheet or in a baking dish with rims (so they don't fall over).
- Freeze 3 hours- overnight before transferring to a large freezer bag. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- To cook: thaw completely before cooking as directed above.