This homemade taco seasoning is gluten-free, low carb and free from chemicals and preservatives.
It's about time I post my favorite homemade taco seasoning, considering all the other spice blends I've already shared with you!
Making your own taco seasoning is a good way to save money, and not only that but YOU get to control the ingredients.
Have you read the ingredients on that package of taco seasoning? There are some crazy sounding ingredients in there including 'anti-caking' and 'preservative' ingredients.
Not only that but there are sneaky carbs hiding in your taco seasoning. If you are not watching your carbs, no biggie. But if you are following a keto diet, they can quickly add up.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
We love this homemade taco seasoning because
- it's made with simple pantry spices
- it's GF, low carb and free from chemical additives
- it keeps for up to a year!
How to make it
To make your own taco seasoning at home, you just need simple pantry spices (these spices are all on my Pantry Staples for Meal Prep Checklist!) and 5 minutes to measure them out.
Want to make a big batch? Slide up the 'servings' section of the recipe card and make enough for a whole bunch of Taco Tuesdays!
- mix together chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin and either arrowroot starch or corn starch
- store in a sealed container for up to a year, OR use it right away!
How much of seasoning do I use for a batch of taco meat? One batch of this seasoning works out to roughly 2 tablespoons, and is the perfect amount to use on 1 lb of ground meat. We enjoy it on ground beef or ground turkey but I'm sure it would also be great on ground chicken and even crumbled tofu!
Why do I need to add water with the DIY taco seasoning? This just helps all the spices dissolve in so you get even coverage on the ground meat. Otherwise it can end up kind of gritty. It also helps create a bit of a sauce when the arrowroot starch thickens the water.
What can I use this seasoning on? Other than ground meat or crumbled tofu, you could use it on:
- baked chicken breast
- sprinkle on veggies before roasting or grilling
- roasted chickpeas
- Taco Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Meal prep: Turkey Taco Lunch Bowls, Low Carb Meatball Burrito Bowls, or Santa Fe Low Carb Chicken Meal Prep
- Instant Pot Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers or Crockpot Stuffed Peppers
- Baked Beef Taquitos
- Taco Salad Recipe
Tips & equipment
- I cook my taco meat in a non-stick pan (this is my basic Non-Stick Pan)
- and store my spices in a half pint mason jar
- Looking for more DIY spice blends? Check out this Homemade Fajita Seasoning, this Jamaican Jerk Seasoning and this Easy Greek Seasoning
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon arrowroot starch (or 1 teaspoon corn starch)
- Mix together all ingredients. One batch works with 1 lb of ground meat.
To cook taco meat
- Cook 1 lb of ground meat over medium heat, breaking it up with a spatula until no pink remains.
- Drain the pan if there is a lot of grease, then return meat to the pan.
- Add ⅔ cup of water and taco seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, until seasoning is well mixed in and most of the water has absorbed.
- This makes enough taco meat for 4 people.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment