Baked beef taquitos are the most delicious meal prep lunch, and are so easy to prepare! Top them with salsa verde, fresh veggies and avocado slices.
If it’s Taco Tuesday, then can we do Taquito Wednesday? Not quite the same? Oh well.
This baked beef taquitos recipe is so good and is perfect for meal prep. They are simple to prep and last well in the fridge or the freezer!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
We love this baked beef taquitos recipe because
- they are easy to prepare and don’t require any frying
- they freeze well and last in the fridge for up to 4 days
- kids love them!
How to make baked taquitos
For this beef taquitos recipe, I took a short cut and used pre-made taco seasoning. You can make your own seasoning (and I need to get my homemade taco seasoning up on the blog one day soon!)
Also? These are beef taquitos but you could swap the ground beef out for ground turkey or even ground chicken.
- Cook your ground beef, then add in the taco seasoning and some water, cooking it down and stirring to coat.
- Roll taquitos with 1/4 beef and 2 tablespoons shredded cheese.
- Arrange seam down on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil.
- Bake at 425°F for 15-20 minutes.
Can these baked taquitos be frozen? YES! These freeze and thaw really well. I store in a sealed container (like this one) for up to 1 month, but would use a freezer bag if I were freezing for longer. Thaw completely, and bake at 350°F until heated through (20 minutes or so)
Can I convert these ground beef taquitos into a vegetarian recipe? YES! Try these Sweet Potato Baked Taquitos instead!
What can I serve with these ground beef taquitos? You can totally change up the toppings based on what you have in the fridge:
- salsa, salsa verde or pico de gallo
- fresh tomatoes, lettuce, arugula, shredded cabbage, chopped bell peppers and cucumber
- something creamy: greek yogurt, sour cream, avocado or guacamole
- more cheese is never a bad idea 😉
Tips & equipment for beef taquitos
Baked Beef Taquitos
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 10 tortillas (small; 6 inch)
- 1 1/4 cup cheese (shredded; I used Monterey Jack)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for brushing)
- Cook beef in a non-stick pan over medium heat until no pink remains. If there is a lot of liquid in the pan, drain before proceeding.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over the beef. Add 1/3 cup of water. Cook, stirring continuously for another 2-3 minutes, until water reduces and beef is well mixed with seasoning.
- Set beef aside to cool before rolling taquitos.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of ground beef into the middle of a tortilla. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese.
- Roll tightly, and place seam side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Brush each taquito with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 15 or so minutes, until edges are brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with suggested toppings.
- Taquitos may be frozen in a storage container for up to 1 month, or a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before reheating in the microwave or the oven.
- Taquitos work great for meal prep; portion out into a divided meal prep container with toppings. Taquitos may be reheated but are also delicious served cold.