These healthy sweet potato skins are stuffed with taco-seasoned turkey, smoked gouda and corn! A gluten-free taco alternative!
Look, it’s Tuesday and I made tacos! That was totally planned…riiiight…wink wink.
I guess these sweet potato skins don’t exactly look like tacos, but they are kind of…taco-ey. I mean, you have all of your essential taco components: filling, cheese, and some sort of thing to wrap around the filling and cheese…if you use your imagination it’s kind of wrapping.
OK so tacos or not, these sweet potato skins are yummy, healthy, and gluten-free! As a huge lover of all things gluten, it’s pretty much always a complete accident when gluten-free happens. So here’s my happy accident for all you celiacs out there.
Gluten-free or not, these sweet potato boats are mostly just my fun twist on tacos…and of course sweet potatoes are involved. Of course.
Here’s the deal: Roast the sweet potatoes whole, cool slightly, cut in half, scoop a little bit out, and stuff full of turkey, corn, onions and peppers which are cooked in a touch of taco seasoning.
Then the bestest part: cheese!!! Not just any cheese, but my new favorite smoked Gouda! And we’re not going light on the cheese, either, we’re going to SMOTHER these taco boats.
The smoked Gouda is definitely the bestest part of these sweet potato skins. It brings a touch of smokiness, and a whole lotta gooey-cheesy-awesomeness.
These sweet potato skins do take a bit of time to prepare, but most of that time is spent waiting for your sweet potatoes to roast. If you don’t want to roast them, try making your sweet potatoes in the slow cooker! And then waiting for your cheese to get all gooey and yummy like it is up there ^.
The other time is spend cooking the turkey, pepper and onion…which takes all of about 20 minutes.
What I’m trying to tell you is that these things are EASY to make, fun to eat, and also really delicious.
And you should make them. The end.
Psst! Here’s another great sweet potato skins recipe: lighter sausage-stuffed sweet potatoes
Turkey and Smoked Gouda Sweet Potato Skins
Roasted sweet potatoes are stuffed with a Mexican turkey and corn mixture, and smothered with smoked Gouda. A delicious and fun alternative for taco Tuesday!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 250g ground turkey (roughly 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup corn drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub sweet potatoes, then arrange on a baking sheet and prick with a fork several times.
- Roast until tender, around 45 minutes (time will vary by size of the sweet potatoes).
- When cooked through, remove sweet potatoes from oven and allow to cool slightly (leave oven on).
- In a large frying pan, cook the ground turkey on medium heat until cooked through, around 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the red pepper and red onion to the pan, (you may wish to add some olive oil if the pan is too dry), and cook for 3-5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Return the turkey to the pan, add the taco seasoning and water, and stir until completely combined. Cook for 5 or so more minutes, until liquid has reduced and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add the corn to the pan and toss to coat.
Assembling the boats:
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop about ¼ or ⅓ of a cup of sweet potato out (as pictured).
- Divide the filling evenly amongst the sweet potatoes, then sprinkle with the cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Garnish with chives and serve immediately