A recipe for sweet potato falafel pitas filled with crunchy veggies and drizzled with a delicious tahini sauce!Ready in 30 minutes when using slow cooker sweet potatoes.
Note: This recipe is part of my 3-in-1 recipe series in which I provide one base slow cooker recipe, and three ways to serve it. See this post for instructions on slow cooking sweet potatoes.
Falafel fans, hands up! Me me me!
I do love a good falafel, but I don’t want to mess around with frying. And I thought the sweet potato flavors would go wonderfully in a falafel, so this sweet potato falafel recipe was born.
Wrapped up in a pita with fresh crunchy veggies, and drizzled with a delicious tahini sauce (don’t skimp on the tahini sauce), these are so fresh, flavorful and delicious! And guess what? Mr. I-don’t-eat-vegetarian-food (Ben) didn’t miss the meat at all. He said he was full but not over-stuffed. WIN!
So. Some notes about this sweet potato falafel recipe. They don’t have the same texture as a deep-fried authentic falafel. They are much softer. I actually did try shallow frying them (actually the falafels pictured were shallow fried), but I recommend baking them for the following reasons: a) healthier b) better texture on the inside of the falafel c) easier d) the pan-fried ones never really got crispy. And what’s the point of frying if they’re not crispy?
So we’re good with baking them? Good!
Check out the other slow cooked sweet potato recipes:
Sweet Potato Falafel Pitas with Tahini Sauce
Pitas are stuffed with baked sweet potato falafels and crunchy veggies, then drizzled with a delicious tahini sauce! Ready in 30 minutes.
Sweet Potato Falafels
- 19 oz/540mL can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sweet potato puree from slow cooker sweet potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 pint cherry toms, halved
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water (or more?)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 large pitas.
Sweet Potato Falafels:
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas for a few minutes (it will take some elbow grease). They will be chunky but broken up.
- Stir in the rest of the falafel ingredients: sweet potato puree, garlic, lemon juice, cayenne, baking powder, cumin, salt, pepper, egg and flour. Stir until completely combined.
- Form 1.5 tablespoon balls (I used my cookie scoop to tightly pack) and place on baking sheet. Flatten slightly with a spatula (around 1 inch thick).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Break one open to make sure they are cooked inside.
While falafels are baking:
- Mix up the fillings: cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, red onion and cucumber.
- Shake together all tahini sauce ingredients.
- Serve immediately.