Ultra creamy crock pot sweet potatoes are the most effortless recipe you’ll ever make! 5 minutes prep, and works great for meal prep! Plus 3 delicious ways to stuff them.
Want fluffy, creamy sweet potatoes with as little effort possible? You are definitely in the right place!
This recipe was originally posted 07/2015 and was rewritten & republished in 08/2019. Same great recipe, but NO FOIL!
Just like these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes, these crockpot sweet potatoes are so easy to make…they barely qualify as a ‘recipe’.
Whether you are cooking your sweet potatoes for an easy dinner side, or to use in meal prep through the week, you are going to love this recipe because it cooks *perfect* sweet potatoes each and every time.
Reasons you’re going to LOVE these crock pot sweet potatoes
- one ingredient
- 5 minutes prep
- perfect sweet potatoes each and every time
Crock Pot sweet potatoes p: 11 alt: 11 h2: 1
Crockpot sweet potatoes p: 111 alt: 1 h2: 1
slow cooker sweet potatoes p: 11 alt: 1 h2: 1
How to cook slow cooker sweet potatoes
My old version of this recipe involved wrapping the sweet potatoes up in foil to cook them, but I wanted to know if this was really necessary as we tend to avoid foil as much as possible.
Spoiler alert- it’s not!
Here’s how to make slow cooker sweet potatoes:
- wash & pat dry sweet potatoes
- prick all over with a fork
- cook on low for 8 hours*
- store for meal prep or enjoy right away!
*small sweet potatoes might be ready closer to 6 hours, but large sweet potatoes need the full 8 hours
Can I freeze slow cooker sweet potatoes? Yes! After cooking them, cool completely, wrap in parchment paper, and store in a meal prep container for up to 3 months.
How long are cooked sweet potatoes good for in the fridge? 4-5 days. They re-heat great: I reheat at 425°F for 10-12 minutes (depends on the size of the sweet potato) or in the microwave for a few minutes.
What can I serve with crockpot sweet potatoes? I love my sweet potatoes with a bit of butter and a sprinkling of coconut sugar and cinnamon. I serve this with:
- Baked Chicken Breast– my kids (and I!) are obsessed with the seasoning on this Perfect Baked Chicken Breast.
- Salmon– I love love love how this Herb Crusted Broiled Salmon gets a little crust on it.
- Side Salad– we are currently obsessed with this Fennel, Apple Brussels Sprouts Slaw, but this Staple Kale Salad is another great option!
How to Stuff your Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
Straight up sweet potato is delish for sure, but you can take it to the next level with a few extra ingredients!
See the notes on the recipe card for the recipes used in this video.
Crock pot sweet potatoes for meal prep
Now I love using sweet potatoes as a base in so many different recipes…so I decided to pull a bunch of easy and healthy sweet potato meal prep recipes together for some ideas of how to use these crock pot sweet potatoes.
Whether you use them as twice baked sweet potatoes, in hummus, breakfast burritos, or any of the recipes, using the slow cooker to cook them ahead definitely makes your meal prep go a little faster.
Let’s check them all out!
- Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Smoky Sweet Potato Hummus
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
- Freezer Sweet Potato Taquitos
- Freezer Sweet Potato Waffles
- Sweet Potato Falafels
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Sausage & Pepper Jack
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- Turkey & Smoked Gouda Sweet Potato Boats
Tips & equipment for perfect slow cooker sweet potatoes
Ultra Creamy Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes
- 3-5 sweet potatoes depending on the size of the sweet potatoes and the size of your slow cooker
- Wash sweet potatoes and pat dry.
- Prick sweet potatoes 8 or so times with a fork and place in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- After cooking, sweet potatoes may be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To freeze- wrap cooled sweet potatoes in parchment paper (secure with tape), then place in a silicone bag or meal prep container. Store for up to 3 months.
- To re-heat- thaw completely if necessary.* heat at 425°F in the oven for 10 or so minutes (depends on the size of the sweet potatoes)* heat in the microwave on medium power for 2 or so minutes, until heated through (also depends on the power of your microwave and size of your sweet potatoes)
- sausage stuffed sweet potatoes- https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/twice-baked-sweet-potatoes-with-sausage-pepper-jack/
- enchilada stuffed sweet potatoes- https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/freezer-to-oven-enchilada-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/
- breakfast sweet potatoes:
- re-heat sweet potatoes in the oven at 425 for 10 or so minutes
- while potatoes are re-heating, scramble eggs (2/ sweet potato) in a pan. Add in greens & salt & pepper.
- serve scrambled eggs over the sweet potatoes