Crockpot sweet potatoes take only 5 minutes prep time, and cook through to soft, fluffy perfection! This post includes step by step photos, an instructional video, and 10+ delicious ways to use them up!
Sweet potatoes are a staple in our diet, but with a long cook time, it's definitely necessary to cook them ahead for easier weeknight meals! You can cook them in the Instant Pot or baked in the oven. Another great option? The slow cooker!
With soft and fluffy insides, these crockpot sweet potatoes are so easy to prep, without even needing to turn on the oven. All it takes is 5 minutes to wash, prick, and place them into the slow cooker!
This method has never let us down, providing perfect, fluffy sweet potatoes each and every time!
Reasons You'll Love This Recipe
- perfect tender and fluffy sweet potatoes each and every time
- you'll need just one ingredient - sweet potatoes!
- takes just 5 minutes prep
Watch the video below to see how to make these crockpot sweet potatoes (they're so simple!), plus three ways to stuff them! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Step by step directions
Prepare sweet potatoes
Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes; prick all over with a fork or paring knife.
Add the sweet potatoes to the slow cooker (stack them to fit, but ensure the lid fits on securely). Cook on the lowest setting for 6-8 hours.
TIP- no water is needed for this recipe; the sweet potatoes generate enough liquid during cooking to steam through.
Use tongs to carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the slow cooker. They will be soft and delicate so work carefully.
Serve with butter, coconut sugar and cinnamon, or store for later.
Cook time - small sweet potatoes might be ready closer to 6 hours, but large sweet potatoes need the full 8 hours
Nope, the sweet potatoes release water as they cook, causing them to steam without the need to add extra water to the slow cooker.
Nope! The old version of these crockpot sweet potatoes did involve wrapping the sweet potatoes up in foil to cook them, but after testing without foil we found it was not necessary at all. We tend to avoid foil as much as possible, so this was great news!
Ways to use them up
Whether you use these crockpot sweet potatoes up as twice-baked sweet potatoes, in hummus, breakfast burritos, or any of these recipes, using the slow cooker to cook them ahead definitely makes your meal prep go a little faster.
- Enchilada stuffed sweet potatoes
- Smoky sweet potato hummus
- Southwestern sweet potato breakfast burritos
- Freezer sweet potato taquitos
- Freezer sweet potato waffles
- Sweet potato falafels
- Twice baked sweet potatoes with sausage & pepper jack
- Chipotle sweet potato black bean quesadillas
- Turkey & smoked gouda sweet potato boats
- Twice baked sweet potato casserole
- Easy mashed sweet potatoes
- Taco stuffed sweet potatoes
- Sweet potato pancakes
Storage + Meal Prep
Sweet potatoes work amazingly well for meal prep! Here's how to store and reheat them:
- freezer - after cooking, cool completely, wrap in parchment paper, and store in a meal prep container for up to 3 months
- fridge - store in an air tight container in the fridge for 4-5 days
- reheat - in the oven at 425°F for 10-12 minutes (depends on the size of the sweet potato), or microwave - 1-2 minutes
- 3-5 sweet potatoes depending on the size of the sweet potatoes and the size of your slow cooker
- Prepare- Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes; prick all over with a fork or paring knife.
- Cook- Add the sweet potatoes to the slow cooker (stack them to fit). Cook on the lowest setting for 6-8 hours.
- Serve - Use tongs to carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the slow cooker. They will be soft and delicate so work carefully.Serve with butter, coconut sugar and cinnamon, or store for later.
- You can put as many sweet potatoes in your slow cooker as will fit! Just make sure the lid fits securely.
Fridge - After cooking, sweet potatoes may be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer - Wrap cooled sweet potatoes in parchment paper (secure with tape), then place in a silicone bag or meal prep container. Store for up to 3 months.
- To re-heat - thaw completely if necessary. Heat at 425°F in the oven for 10 or so minutes (depends on the size of the sweet potatoes); OR heat in the microwave on medium power for 2 or so minutes, until heated through (also depends on the power of your microwave and size of your sweet potatoes)
- Sausage stuffed sweet potatoes
- Enchilada stuffed sweet potatoes
- Breakfast sweet potatoes:
- re-heat sweet potatoes in the oven at 425 for 10 or so minutes
- while potatoes are re-heating, scramble eggs (2/ sweet potato) in a pan. Add in greens & salt & pepper.
- serve scrambled eggs over the sweet potatoes
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.