A fresh, crunchy brussels sprouts slaw that tosses shredded apple, fennel and Brussels sprouts in a tangy vinaigrette. Vegan, gluten-free and ready in 20 min.
We all know that Roasted Brussels Sprouts are the bomb.com, but did you know you can eat them raw as well?
Shredded brussels sprouts are kind of like cabbage: crunchy and the perfect vehicle for a nice tangy vinaigrette.
Add in some licoricey fennel and sweet/tart Granny Smith apples and this is one seriously delish salad.
Reasons to love this Apple, Fennel, Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- it's ready in 20 minutes
- it's fresh, crunchy, mild and slightly sweet (plus tangy from the vinaigrette)
- it's vegan and gluten-free
Watch the video below to see exactly how I prepped this slaw. It’s so easy! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Shredding your veggies
There are several ways that you can prep your brussels sprouts, fennel and apple for this recipe:
- Food processor- make sure your food processor is fitted with the slicing dish (not the blade or the shredding disk). Press the vegetables through the chute.
- Mandoline- I advise wearing a safety glove for shredding (especially something as small as a brussels sprout). While slower and messier than the food processor, this gets the job done. Press and move the vegetable back and forth over the blade.
- Knife- as a last resort, you could try to chop the veggies as finely as possible
Find my favorite equipment in my shop
Brussels sprouts prep
Start by washing the sprouts, then slice the bottom ¼ inch off the sprout and pull off the outer leaves.
- if you plan on chopping the sprouts, I recommend slicing them in half first and placing cut side down so they don't roll around.
Fennel is one of those ingredients that many people are not familiar with. It has a large bulb with delicate fronds. For the recipe, we are using a bit of both.
- wash the fennel, then trim the bottom ¼ inch off the bottom of the bulb, and cut the fronds off the top of the bulb (reserve the fronds for later)
- if you are using a food processor, you will need to trim the fennel to fit through the chute. I advise cutting the bulb into fourths
For this recipe, feel free to use your favorite apple. I have used granny smith for a tart twist on this recipe, but honey crisp, gala or fuji are also great choices.
- peeling the apples is optional; I left it on as I think it makes the salad even prettier
- remove the core and trim to fit through the food processor chute
- if using the mandoline, there is no need to core the apple, simply slice it towards the core, rotate, and repeat (here's a great tutorial)
There are infinite ways to mix up this recipe. Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- bacon- goes so well with brussels sprouts and would add a little salty flavor to contrast the sweet apples. See how to cook bacon in the oven
- dried cranberries- for a pretty and festive variation
- add nuts- pecans and sliced almonds would go great. I advise toasting them to really bring out their nutty flavor
- feta cheese- I think the briney feta would go really well with the sweet/tart/tangy flavors already happening in this slaw
Prep ahead to save time
With a few tips, you can prep components of this brussels sprouts slaw ahead to save time on weeknights.
Here are some prep ahead tips:
- brussels sprouts and fennel may be shredded up to 7 days ahead
- vinaigrette can be shaken up 2 weeks ahead
- do not shred the apples until just before serving
- do not dress the salad until you are ready to serve
What goes well with brussels sprouts slaw?
This recipe goes well with so many things! Here are some great ways to serve it:
- Salmon- it would go great with this Herb Crusted Broiled Salmon
- Pulled Pork- apple, fennel and pulled pork go so well together! Here is my favorite Crock Pot Pulled Pork and Healthier Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Sandwich- I bet this slaw could go well on this Honey Lime Shredded Chicken Sandwich!
- Tofu- how about serving with a batch of this Easy Baked Tofu
This recipe was originally posted 08/2014 and was rewritten & republished in 08/2019 with a zippier vinaigrette + video.
Apple Fennel Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- 1 medium granny smith apple (sliced & cored; skin can stay on)
- ½ fennel bulb (fronds reserved; slice to fit in food processor chute)
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts (washed and ends trimmed)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds (chopped; go up to ⅓ cup if you love fennel)
- salt and pepper
- Slice the apple, fennel and Brussels sprouts as thinly as possible, using a food processor or mandoline.
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a jar or salad dressing shaker and shake until completely combined.
- Toss and serve immediately
- Unfortunately, this salad does not keep well once dressed.
- Brussels sprouts and fennel may be sliced up to 4 days ahead and stored in an air tight container in the fridge.
- Vinaigrette may be shaken up 1-2 weeks ahead (leave out the fennel and add it just before serving).