Shaved brussels sprouts salad has toasted almond slices, sweet pomegranate seeds, and a tangy vinaigrette. Perfect for a holiday side dish. Vegan, gluten-free, paleo.
This week, it’s all about the Thanksgiving recipes, and what is more ‘Thanksgiving’ than brussels sprouts? Sadly, my memories of brussels at our holiday feast are not so great…boiled, bland and beloved only by my father.
It’s time for a little holiday brussels sprouts remix, in the form of this shaved brussels sprouts salad! It’s the lighter (and easy to prep) side dish that your holiday table needs!
Why we love this shaved brussels sprouts salad
- the food processor does the heavy prep work
- you can prep your ingredients a day ahead and toss together just before serving
- it’s light and crunchy, which is perfect for a heavy Thanksgiving or Christmas meal
How to make brussels sprouts salad
This brussels sprouts salad is so simple to prepare, and the best part is you can prep all your ingredients the day before you serve (just keep the dressing and almonds separate from the other ingredients until just before you serve).
- Shake together the simple vinaigrette (it’s this white wine vinaigrette, which is the perfect blend of sweet, savory and tangy).
- De-seed your pomegranate. Check out my How to Open a Pomegranate post to see my super fast way to get this done!
- Shred your brussels sprouts: trim the end and use your food processor to shred it (this is my food processor)! You can also chop it into thin strips.
- Toast almonds: worth the effort! 350°F for 5 or so minutes.
- Chop your onion.
- Put them all together and serve this delicious brussels sprouts salad!
Wait…don’t I need to cook my shaved brussels sprouts? Nope! Bet you didn’t know raw brussels sprouts were so crunchy and delicious!
Can I dress this shaved brussels sprouts salad recipe ahead? You can add the vinaigrette 1-2 hours before serving but I would only add the almonds just before serving. The shaved brussels sprouts can hold up in the dressing for a few hours but the almonds get soft.
Can I add other ingredients to this shaved brussels sprouts salad recipe? Sure! I bet some crumbled bacon would be amazing, as would some feta cheese.
Can I swap the brussels sprouts? Almonds? Pomegranates? Onions? Yes! This is an extremely versatile salad.
- swap the brussels sprouts for kale (give it a massage to take out the bitterness)
- swap the almond for pecans, cashews, or hazelnuts
- swap the pomegranate for dried cranberries or even diced apple
- leave out the onion if you’d like
Tips & equipment for this shaved brussels sprouts salad recipe
- this is my favorite food processor that shreds the brussels in minutes!
- prep ingredients & vinaigrette ahead and store separately in the fridge until just before serving.
- Looking for more Thanksgiving recipes? Try this Dry Brined Turkey with Garlic Sage Butter, this Make Ahead Sage Apple Stuffing, or these Herb & Garlic Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 lb brussels sprouts (shredded; roughly 8 cups)
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 2 pomegranates (de-seeded)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon
- salt & pepper
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Arrange almonds on a sheet pan and roast for 3-5 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate to cool.
- Using a food processor or sharp knife, shred the brussels sprouts into thin strips.
- Shake together vinaigrette.
- Toss together all salad ingredients and serve.
To prepare ahead
- Store shredded brussels sprouts, red onion and pomegranate seeds together in a sealed container in the fridge. Keep the vinaigrette and toasted almonds separate until just before serving.