Mashed sweet potatoes are buttery, slightly sweet and have an ultra smooth and creamy texture that is hard to beat! Simple to prepare and can be prepped ahead and re-heated.
There are two camps of people: those who like their sweet potatoes on the sweeter side, and those who do not. Me? I’m a huge fan of these mashed sweet potatoes: they are slightly (but not overly) sweet, but still savory, buttery, and sooo tasty!
These mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect low-maintenance holiday side dish. They take around 40 minutes to prepare (mostly inactive time), and you can even make them ahead and re-heat for the big meal.
We also love this sweet potato mash recipe for a weeknight dinner. Sometimes I get creative and change up the flavors…but we always come back to the classic sweet potato flavors: cinnamon, maple, and butter.
Sometimes you just can’t mess with the classics!
Why you’ll ♡ these mashed sweet potatoes
- they are silky smooth
- you only need 6 simple ingredients and 30 minutes to prep them
- you can make them ahead and reheat
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Which ingredients do we need?
- sweet potatoes– 2 lbs which was roughly 5 small sweet potatoes
- butter– to add a rich buttery flavor to the mashed sweet potatoes
- salt– to bring out all the other flavors
- cinnamon– for a hint of cinnamon flavor
- maple syrup– just a small bit so they are not overpoweringly sweet
- milk– to make these mashed sweet potatoes so creamy
How to make mashed sweet potatoes
This is a super simple recipe to prepare…it’s basically as easy as 1-2-3:
- peel & chop sweet potatoes
- steam for 20-30 minutes
- mash with butter, cinnamon, maple syrup and milk
Important tips for perfect mashed sweet potatoes
Skin- for silkiest smooth sweet potato mash recipe, you will want to peel the skins off. If you don’t mind some lumps, you can leave the skins on.
Cooking method- this recipe steams the sweet potatoes to preserve the nutrients, but if you don’t have a steamer basket, you could boil them instead.
Doneness- make sure your sweet potatoes are nice and soft when you mash them, otherwise you might end up with lumps.
Hand mixer- if you want these mashed sweet potatoes extra smooth, you can use a hand mixer to blend them up.
Can I turn this into a savory sweet potato mash recipe? Yes, you definitely could do that! Check out my favorite simple Cajun mashed sweet potatoes recipe. We also sometimes mash with greek yogurt and garlic salt.
Can I freeze mashed sweet potatoes? I believe this would work! After all, these enchilada stuffed sweet potatoes are one of my favorite freezer meals. Your sweet potatoes may end up slightly watery after thawing, but reheating in a pan should help that extra liquid to evaporate.
Can I cook this healthy mashed sweet potatoes in the slow cooker? Instant Pot? Microwave? Yes, yes and yes. Cook your sweet potatoes whole, then remove the skin before mashing with the other ingredients in this recipe.
Here are some resources for you:
- Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Ultra Creamy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
- How to Cook a Sweet Potato in the Microwave
Wondering what to serve with healthy mashed sweet potatoes?
While we do love this as a weeknight side dish, here are some more holiday-worthy recipes that would also go well with it:
- This Brussels Sprouts Butternut Squash Gratin
- This Cranberry Almond Rice Pilaf
- These Herb & Garlic Potato Stacks
- Crock Pot Ham with Spiced Honey
- Dry Brined Turkey
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Pomegranates
Tips & equipment for the perfect healthy mashed sweet potatoes
Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (roughly 5 small sweet potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- Peel sweet potatoes (if desired; see note *), and cut into 2 inch cubes.
- Add 2 cups of water to a pot, then insert a steamer basket. Add the sweet potato cubes to the steamer basket.
- Cover, bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Cook time will depend on the size and quantity of your sweet potatoes.
- When a fork inserts easily into the sweet potatoes, transfer sweet potatoes to a large bow.
- With a potato masher, mash until smooth. Add the butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt. Continue mashing until butter is melted and spices are mixed in. (See note **)
- Add the milk, and stir until smooth.
- Sweet potato mash may be prepared up to 4 days ahead of time.
- Reheat in the microwave or in a pan on the stove, adding extra milk as needed.