Whole roasted cauliflower with a curry spice rub, pomegranates and a turmeric tahini sauce to drizzle on top. A delicious vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas recipe.
Can we just go ahead and call cauliflower the most versatile vegetable ever? It seems to be able to turn into almost anything we’d like: pizza crust, muffins, rice, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese and so so so many more things.
Today, we are making the cauliflower the star of the show and roasting it up whole in all it’s glory!
Not only is this whole roasted cauliflower recipe a show-stopper that would be worthy of your Christmas table, but it’s vegan, gluten-free AND low carb.
Reasons you’ll love whole roasted cauliflower recipe
- it requires minimal prep
- it looks impressive and tastes delicious
- it’s vegan, gluten-free and low carb!
How to make it
The majority of the effort in this recipe is in the prep work, and even that is quite minimal!
- Prep your cauliflower– Simply remove the leaves, and cut the stem out from the base of the cauliflower. Make sure you don’t cut too deep so the head of cauliflower remains intact. Wash the cauliflower and allow it to dry a few minutes.
- Stir together the spice blend– I used the Indian spice blend but you could swap for one of these 7 spice blend recipes! Mix it up with 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Drizzle/brush the spice mixture all over the cauliflower.
- Roast up the cauliflower for 45 minutes- 1 hour. This will depend on the size of your cauliflower.
- Mix up the turmeric tahini sauce.
Serve it with
I could totally picture this as a vegan Christmas recipe, but it’s easy enough for an everyday meal!
Here are some vegan-friendly recipes I would serve with this whole roasted cauliflower recipe:
- this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Pomegranates
- this Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf or Cranberry Almond Rice Pilaf
- this Roasted Butternut Squash
- our Staple Kale Salad or this Autumn Apple Farro Salad (just leave out the cheese for vegan)
How can I tell my roasted whole cauliflower is cooked through?
Insert a sharp paring knife into the center. When it goes in without resistance, your cauliflower is done! If you have to push to get it in, your cauliflower needs more time in the oven.
Can I use other seasonings on it?
Absolutely! You could go Mexican with taco seasoning, you could go Greek with this Greek seasoning blend (and a squeeze of lemon), or keep it simple with some onion & garlic powder and parmesan cheese.
Does this recipe work for meal prep?
Yep! It keeps in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat and enjoy!
- I used my favorite, good quality sheet pan (these ones!)
- I used my silicone basting brush to cover the cauliflower completely with the olive oil/spice rub, and basted it a second time after about 10 minutes of baking (picking up any that ran off onto the baking sheet)
- Looking for more cauliflower recipes? Check out these 7 Cauilflower Rice Recipes, this Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower or these Cauliflower Cashew Lunch Bowls
- Check out my post on How To Open a Pomegranate for tips and a video!
Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower (medium- large)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Turmeric Tahini Sauce
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water (or more to thin out)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oven to 450°.
- Prepare cauliflower by removing all leaves and gently cutting the stem out. Rinse and pat dry. Place on a baking sheet.
- Stir together the seasoning blend, then brush all over the cauliflower.
- Roast cauliflower in the oven, basting it with any seasoning/oil that runs off in the first 10 minutes. Bake for a total time of 45 minutes- 1 hour, or until a knife inserts easily into the cauliflower.
- While cauliflower is baking, shake together the turmeric tahini sauce.
- Serve the roasted cauliflower with pomegranate seeds, parsley, and a drizzle of turmeric tahini sauce.