This maple cinnamon roasted butternut squash recipe is the perfect easy side dish! Easy to prepare and loved by all (especially the kids!).
Fall is in the air and that means it’s all about the butternut squash! After sharing my favorite Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with you, we’re moving on to my favorite Roasted Butternut Squash recipe with you!
This simple roasted butternut squash recipe is on rotation at our house all fall long, because it is loved by both adults and children!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
We love this roasted butternut squash recipe because
- it tastes amazing and even the kids love it
- you can roast it ahead and reheat
- it is so easy to make!
How to roast butternut squash
For this recipe, we are going to cut our butternut squash into cubes. This gets dinner on the table in a reasonable amount of time. You can also roast your butternut squash whole, but it takes FOREVER.
The majority of the effort involved in this roast butternut squash recipe is in preparing your butternut squash. Peel it, then scoop out any seeds, and carefully cut it into into 3/4- 1 inch cubes.
How to roast butternut squash
- chop butternut squash
- toss in olive oil
- add the maple syrup, paprika, cinnamon and salt
- roast for 25-35 minutes, stirring them up halfway through
Can I freeze roasted butternut squash? I don’t personally enjoy freeze/thawed roasted vegetables as I find they get really mushy after thawing. If you are going to puree them, this could work! Also, I regularly freeze raw butternut squash cubes and have used them in fajitas, curries and more.
What can I serve with this roasted butternut squash cubes?
This recipe is versatile and goes well with lots of recipes, but here are some ideas:
- this Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf
- this Perfect Baked Chicken Breast, Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken, or these Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Autumn Apple Farro Salad
- any of these 3 Broccolini Recipes (I’m leaning towards the brown butter broccolini!)
- our Staple Kale Salad which has dried cranberries & feta
- one of these 7 Easy Rice Recipes or this Cauliflower Rice!
Tips & equipment for roasted butternut squash cubes
- I baked my roasted butternut squash cubes on a good quality sheet pan (I use these ones!)
- Make sure to pick a ripe butternut squash that is orange and not green in color.
- Looking for more vegetable side dish recipes? Try this Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower or this Grilled Broccoli with Lemon & Parmesan!
Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeds scooped out, and cut into 3/4 inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Toss the butternut squash cubes with olive oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, paprika and salt. Arrange on a large baking sheet.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Stir the butternut squash cube up and flip, then return to the oven for another 10-20 minutes, until a fork goes into the squash cubes easily.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh herbs if desired.
To cook ahead and re-heat
- Cook as directed above. Cool and store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a covered dish in the oven at 350°F for 20 minutes or until heated through.