This recipe for baked lemon pepper chicken makes a delicious dinner the whole family will enjoy. Use it for meal prep or as a weeknight dinner!
Boneless skinless chicken breasts are a staple in my house and there have been SO many recipes on the blog, including Freezable Chicken Marinades, Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes and Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipes.
Today’s baked lemon pepper chicken recipe is not actually a new recipe per se, but one of our marinades from the 7 MORE Freezer-Friendly Chicken Breast Recipes. It is one of my faves and totally deserves its own post, don’t you think?
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
Reasons you’ll love baked lemon pepper chicken
- the spice rub is delicious and also works on potatoes and veggies
- you can have dinner on the table quickly
- even kids love it!
- it’s low carb and gluten-free
How to make it
This chicken benefits from marinating in the marinade for 2-24 hours. You can even freeze your chicken right in the marinade, and it absorbs so much delicious flavor as it thaws!
However, I have been known to skip the marinade step altogether in a pinch and it still gets great flavor from the seasonings.
- Mix together your seasonings: lemon pepper, salt, basil, oregano and thyme leaves.
- Toss chicken in olive oil (to coat), then toss it in the seasoning. The chicken breasts should be very generously coated!
- Marinate for 2-24 hours (or you can skip this step).
- Bake at 450°F for indicated time (see the recipe card for times)
- Cover and rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy!
*note that this recipe has very assertive flavors that are great mixed in with rice and vegetables. If you like more mellow flavors, reduce the spices in half.
Does the marinade work with chicken thighs as well?
Sure does! For chicken thighs, I bake at 425°F for 30 minutes (skin on bone in) or 20-30 minutes (boneless skinless).
How can I tell if my chicken is cooked through?
One way I test is to touch the middle of the breast with my finger. If it is still really wobbly, it’s not cooked through. If it is firm and springy, it may be cooked through.
You can also test by using an instant read thermometer, checking that it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
Estimated cook time for chicken breasts at 450°F
- 5 oz 12-15 min
- 7 oz 15-20 min
- 10 oz 20-25 min
What to serve with it
I have so many ideas for side dishes that would pair well with this recipe!
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Grilled Broccoli with Lemon & Parmesan
- Autumn Apple Farro Salad
- any of these 3 Broccolini Recipes (I’m leaning towards the brown butter broccolini!)
- our Staple Kale Salad which has dried cranberries & feta
- one of these 7 Easy Rice Recipes or this Cauliflower Rice!
- I bake my chicken on a good quality sheet pan (I use these ones!)
- I cover my chicken while it’s resting with my 9 x 13 inch baking pan
- Looking for more chicken marinade recipes? Try this Chipotle Lime Chicken Marinade, this Shortcut Jamaican Jerk Chicken Marinade or this Simple Cilantro Lime Chicken Marinade.
- You may also like this Baked Chicken Parmesan
Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 2 large chicken breasts)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Toss chicken in olive oil, then in the spices.
- (optional) Marinate for 2-24 hours.
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Arrange chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Cook according to the size of the chicken breast:
5 oz 12-15 min7 oz 15-20 min10 oz 20-25 min
- Remove from oven and cover with a baking dish. Let chicken rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve right away or save for your meal prep!
To freeze chicken in the marinade
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy duty freezer bag (or re-usable silicone bag). Squeeze as much air out as possible and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely in the fridge before baking as instructed above.