Cilantro lime chicken marinade has just six simple ingredients and infuses chicken breasts with delicious, aromatic cilantro, lime and garlic flavors. Serve over salad, in tacos, or just as is.
We are always on the look out for ways to mix up our chicken routine, and one of the best ways to add flavor is through a chicken marinade.
I am a little obsessed with chicken marinades; you might remember this post with 7 Chicken Marinade Recipes You Can Freeze? Well this cilantro lime chicken marinade is originally from that post, however I thought it was time to give it it’s very own post.
NEW: looking for Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes? Check this post out!
Reasons to love this cilantro lime chicken marinade?
- it has only 6 ingredients, which you may already have on hand, but are easily found at most grocery stores
- you can freeze the chicken right in the marinade for easy convenient cilantro lime chicken freezer packs
- you can bake or grill the chicken
I like that this cilantro lime chicken is a little more on the subtle side. Don’t get me wrong, the cilantro and lime flavors are prominent, but they are less assertive than some of my Asian chicken marinade recipes.
This cilantro lime chicken is perfect served over a fresh crunchy taco salad, or in tacos with a tangy slaw on top…OR just eat it as is. The cilantro lime chicken breasts are perfectly juicy, with aromatic cilantro and lime flavors infused all the way through.
How to marinate your cilantro lime chicken:
- marinate for 2-24 hours, or up to 3 months if you are freezing them
- use a freezer bag to get good coverage of the chicken breasts with the cilantro lime marinade
- bake them up on a baking sheet, or grill them on the barbecue
Cilantro lime chicken marinade
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 4 chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (chopped + loosely packed)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy duty freezer bag or reusable silicone bag. Smoosh it around to combine, then add chicken breasts. Turn to coat in marinade.
- Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
- If freezing, place in the freezer immediately. Thaw in the fridge overnight, or by immersing the bag in a bowl of cold water for a couple of hours.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Bake chicken in a shallow baking dish for 10 minutes, flip over, then bake for another 12-17 minutes, or until internal temperature has reached 165°F.
- Allow chicken to rest at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- grill- I recommend pounding the chicken flat before marinating to ensure it cooks through evenly. Cook over high heat 2 minutes per side until it reaches an internal temp of 155°F
- frying pan- cook in olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet for 5-7 minutes per side
- air fryer- I recommend pounding the chicken before marinating. Cook at 390°F/ 200°C for 4 minutes + 2 minutes (flipping half way).
- boneless chicken thighs- 2-24 hours marinating time
- shrimp or fish- 30 minutes marinating time
- pork tenderloin- at least 24 hours to marinate
- tofu- press first, then marinate for 2-24 hours