Honey garlic chicken marinade has just five ingredients and bakes up with a sweet and savory sauce you can spoon over rice and veggies! Make chicken marinade freezer packs for easy weeknight dinners.
Sometimes, half the battle of dinner can be in deciding what to make…which is why this honey garlic chicken marinade is so perfect!
I love to stock up on chicken breasts when they’re on sale, and freeze them in different chicken marinades. That way, you have the base to easy dinners waiting for you in the freezer!
This honey garlic chicken marinade was one of my favorites from this post with 7 Chicken Marinade Recipes You Can Freeze, and I thought it was time to give it it’s very own post!
NEW: looking for Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes? Check this post out!
The best part of this honey garlic chicken marinade is the fact that it bakes up with it’s very own sauce that is perfect for spooning over the chicken, rice, veggies etc.
It also happens to be ridiculously simple to prep, with a little olive oil, some honey, soy sauce, salt and garlic. I add a bit of water to prevent it from over-reducing in the oven and burning.
We love eating this honey garlic chicken with rice and roasted veggies…you can roast the veggies up at the same temperature for baking the chicken, so it’s perfect.
It would also be great in a wrap, quesadillas, or even tacos.
Tips for perfect honey garlic chicken marinade
- this marinade is not spicy; kick it up a notch with some cayenne (1/8 teaspoon) or red pepper flakes (1/4 teaspoon)
- I use this 5 x 5 inch baking dish to bake up a single chicken breast, and it is perfect to prevent the sauce from over-reducing in the oven. For 2 or more, I’d use an 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- Looking for more chicken marinades? Check out this post with 7 Freezer Chicken Marinades, and the sequel with 7 More Freezer Chicken Breast Marinades
Honey garlic chicken marinade
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey (see note *)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 2 average chicken breasts)
- Add the olive oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic and water to a freezer bag or reusable silicone bag. Smoosh the bag with your hands until it is completely combined.
- Add the chicken and move the bag around to ensure even coverage of the chicken breasts with the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Bake chicken in a shallow baking dish for 10 minutes, flip over, then bake for another 12-17 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Allow chicken to rest at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- After combining the marinade ingredients with the chicken, place the bag in the freezer immediately. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight, or by immersing the bag in a bowl of cold water for a couple of hours.
- Cook as directed above.
- grill- I recommend pounding the chicken flat before marinating to ensure it cooks through evenly. Cook over high heat 2 minutes per side until it reaches an internal temp of 155°F
- frying pan- cook in olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet for 5-7 minutes per side
- air fryer- I recommend pounding the chicken before marinating. Cook at 390°F/ 200°C for 4 minutes + 2 minutes (flipping half way).
- boneless chicken thighs- 2-24 hours marinating time
- shrimp or fish- 30 minutes marinating time
- pork tenderloin- at least 24 hours to marinate
- tofu- press first, then marinate for 2-24 hours