Sweet chili chicken marinade has only two ingredients and can be prepared ahead and frozen. This chicken cooks up in a sauce that you can spoon over the cooked chicken breast or rice and veggies.
Sweet chili sauce is definitely one of my favorite ingredients to cook with. I initially thought it would be spicy because of the whole ‘chili’ part of the name, but it really comes out more sweet and savory, with just a tiny hint of spiciness.
Today’s sweet chili chicken marinade is so easy that it barely qualifies as a recipe. Soy sauce + sweet chili sauce and a touch of water to prevent it from evaporating and burning in the oven.
I’ve previously used this marinade to make this Sweet Chili Salmon, where I also added garlic. Honestly? You don’t even really need the garlic, making this marinade ridiculously easy to prep…you can literally have it done in under a minute.
NEW: looking for Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes? Check this post out!
The great thing about this sweet chili chicken marinade is how versatile it is!
If you are short on time, just throw it in the oven right away. You will get a ton of flavor from the sauce.
If you want to maximize flavor? Marinate the chicken for 2-24 hours.
If you want to meal prep? Make sweet chili chicken freezer packs and store in the freezer for up to 3 months! When you are ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely, then bake up as written.
This sweet chili chicken comes out of the oven super juicy, packed with flavor, and a huge bonus is that there is a bit of sauce left to spoon over the chicken and any side dishes you might have.
We love to eat our sweet chili chicken with rice and roasted veggies (which you can cook in the oven at the same time as the chicken, woo hoo!). It is great on a salad or in tacos too!
Tips for perfect sweet chili chicken
- I use this 5 x 5 inch baking dish to bake up a single chicken breast, and it is perfect to prevent the sauce from over-reducing in the oven. For 2 or more, I’d use an 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- I’ve used many different brands of sweet chili sauce including Blue Dragon and Mae Ploy and they’ve all worked great in this recipe
- I prefer reduced sodium soy sauce to prevent it from being too salty. Coconut aminos have been suggested as a soy-free alternative, however I myself have not tested them
- Looking for more chicken marinades? Check out this post with 7 Freezer Chicken Marinades, and the sequel with 7 More Freezer Chicken Breast Marinades
Sweet chili chicken marinade
- This recipe is for one large 7 oz chicken breast. Double the recipe for 1 lb of chicken to serve 4.
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce I prefer reduced sodium
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Marinate chicken for up to 24 hours, or freeze chicken in the marinade for up to 3 months.
- To cook the chicken, heat oven to 425°F.
- Bake chicken with the marinade in a small baking dish for 20-25 minutes, or until it is cooked through (no pink, and an internal temp of 165°F)
- Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Spoon sauce over chicken.