Jamaican jerk seasoning is sweet, spicy, and perfect for chicken, shrimp, beef or even vegetables! Make your own healthy homemade jerk seasoning to save money and avoid unhealthy additives.
We loooove Jamaican jerk around these parts. There is just something so delicious about the flavors of Jamaican jerk…it’s almost hard to put into words.
The deep spice flavors from the allspice and thyme, the spiciness from the cayenne and the subtle sweetness you get from the brown sugar…it all goes so so well together.
As much as we loooove an authentic Jamaican jerk chicken recipe, this involves digging out the food processor and handling spicy scotch bonnet peppers. Instead, we opt for a little short cut…that would be where this delicious Jamaican jerk seasoning blend comes into play!
Just a few shakes onto your chicken, shrimp, beef or vegetables, and you get those delicious jerk flavors without the hassle of the food processor.
And by making our own jerk seasoning, we are avoiding any unhealthy additives like MSG or anti-caking agents that can sometimes be found in store-bough spice blends. This spice blend is gluten-free, clean eating, vegan and paleo compliant!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
Why does this jerk chicken seasoning look familiar?
This marinade has had so many great reviews, and is a reader favorite! Authentic? Probably not, but if you want to get dinner on the table quickly, and still want amazing Jamaican jerk flavors, this is the seasoning for you.
Highly recommended- top with fresh mango!
(Pictured above: this Jamaican jerk seasoning used as a chicken marinade with some olive oil and lime juice)
How to prepare this Jamaican jerk seasoning?
It’s SO simple! All you do is combine the dry spices listed on the image at the top of this post. Once prepared, this Jamaican jerk seasoning can be stored in the cupboard for up to a year!
Brown or coconut sugar- bringing some sweetness to the spice blend. Use coconut sugar if you’re sticking to a clean eating or paleo diet.
Ground allspice, cinnamon and thyme leaves- these spices bring the distinctively Jamaican flavor to this Jamaican jerk spice rub.
Garlic powder, salt and pepper- bringing the savory notes to this spice blend
Cayenne- bringing the HEAT! Totally customizable based on your family’s preference. Mild spice? 1/4 teaspoon. Moderate spice? 1/2 teaspoon. SPICE-AY? 1 teaspoon or more. Sky’s the limit, friends.
(Pictured above: this Jamaican jerk seasoning used on a sheet pan chicken recipe)
How to use this Jamaican jerk seasoning recipe?
So so so many ideas. In fact I’ve already used it in a number of recipes!
- add a bit of olive oil and lime juice and use it as a chicken marinade (refer to instructions in this post)
- use it on chicken and veggies on a sheet pan dinner (refer to this Jamaican Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner post)
- use it on your meal prep recipes! Try these Jamaican Chicken Meal Prep Lunch Bowls!
- it’s great on roasted vegetables such as cauliflower
- it’s great on shrimp
- I bet it would be great on salmon (I must try this!)
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (for mild spice; up to 1/2-1 teaspoon for a spicier version)
- Stir together all ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.
- Don't be afraid to use this seasoning aggressively! We use 1.5- 2 tablespoons for one chicken breast.