The TASTIEST baked chicken parmesan recipe that is easy to prep on a weeknight! Crispy, cheesy, but lighter.
Say hello to your new favorite weeknight dinner: this baked chicken parmesan! With crispy panko breadcrumbs and a healthy dose of cheese, this recipe is loved by kids and grown ups alike!
Certain recipes have always been ‘off limits’ to me because they are too complicated to prep. For example: classic chicken parmesan is dredged, fried, then baked in a homemade tomato sauce.
That is WAY too many steps for me to undertake on a busy weeknight. Especially if I have a toddler clinging to my ankle.
Today’s baked simplified recipe has a few shortcuts that not only make it healthier, but easier to prepare as well!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
You’re going to love baked chicken parmesan because
- you can skip the frying step making it easier and healthier
- panko breadcrumbs make it nice and crispy
- the kids loved it!
How to make it
Please note that this chicken parmesan recipe is by no means authentic, but this is my simplified (and healthified) version that will fit much better into a busy and healthy lifestyle!
- Fill three bowls with 1) all purpose flour 2) beaten egg and 3) panko, parmesan cheese, salt and spices
- Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally to make two thin & wide slices per breast
- Dredge chicken in the flour, then the egg and finally the parmesan/panko mixture
- Arrange on a baking sheet or in a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes
- Top with marinara and shredded mozza
- Bake for 5 more minutes, then serve with fresh basil
Can I make it gluten-free? I haven’t tried this but I think you could swap the all purpose flour for gluten-free or almond flour, and the panko for gluten-free panko without any problems.
Can I lower the carbs? I would check out this recipe for Low Carb Chicken Parmesan which uses pork rinds in place of breadcrumbs!
Can I make it ahead of time? I haven’t tried but here’s how I’d do it: Bake the chicken for the 20 minute step, then cool completely and store without the marinara and cheese. Re-heat on a baking sheet for 5 minutes at 350°F, then add the marinara and cheese and bake for another 5 or so minutes until the cheese is melted.
- serve over zucchini noodles with extra marinara sauce
- serve with these Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts, this Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower, or this Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash
- serve with this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad or my favorite Staple Kale Salad
- serve with one of these 7 Cauliflower Rice Recipes or one of these 7 Easy Rice Recipes
- serve with Broccolini or Snap Peas
Tips & equipment
Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 2 large chicken breasts (roughly 1 lb)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (almond and GF flour may also work)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (freshly shredded)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves (torn)
- Cut chicken breasts horizontally so you end up with flat, wide pieces.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Into three separate bowls add: 1. flour 2. egg 3. panko, parmesan cheese, oregano and salt.
- Using tongs, dredge the chicken in the flour mixtue until coated. Shake off excess.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Finally, coat the chicken on both sides in the panko/parmesan cheese mixture.
- Place each coated chicken breast on a baking sheet, then bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Top with marinara, then mozzarella cheese and return to the oven for another 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Serve with fresh basil.