These butternut squash scones with spinach and feta are hiding a healthy secret: a TON of veggies!
This recipe is brought to you by that left-over butternut squash that was eyeing me from the refrigerator.
I hate wasting food. HATE it. Especially anything the size of a butternut squash. A) they are huge and B) they can be kind of pricey!
So that butternut squash just had to be used…and I remembered how delicious these Pumpkin Sage Biscuits were, so I decided to do a riff on that. Except in scone form, to give you these butternut squash scones!
I realize winter squash season is closing on us…but let’s give it one more delicious act before we move on 😉
THESE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SCONES.
Ohmygosh. I barely have words. Just yum. And “just one more”. And “why didn’t I do this sooner?”. Also “why didn’t I make a triple batch?”
I guess there were words after all!
Here’s the dealio: you need cooked butternut squash for this recipe, and whether you steam it or roast it is up to you. I roasted mine because I had the time and wanted that extra flavor it gives.
And also, for some reason I’ve always cubed my squash before roasting. <–That’s the hard way to do things!
Save yourself some time and cut your squash in half, put in on the baking sheet and roast for 40 or so minutes. You can scoop it out later and it is SO MUCH EASIER!
The flavor of these butternut squash scones is just SO GOOD. You have a tiny bit of sweetness/butternut squashiness (let’s make squashiness a word, OK?), and then you have the salty feta.
I didn’t even notice the spinach but it was there…a whole cup of it. In fact there are two whole cups of sneaky veggies in these scones!
And the texture is my favorite part…so tender and flaky. You have not tasted scones until you’ve tasted them fresh from the oven, that’s for sure!
Alright friends, now you know the drill the next time you happen to have left-over butternut squash: bake up some scones!
Happy Monday! I will see you on Thursday with my new favorite pasta recipe for 30 Minute Thursday!
Butternut Squash Scones with Spinach and Feta
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1 cup butternut squash puree *see note
- 1 cup kale or spinach washed dried, and cut into small pieces.
- 1/2 cup feta cheese cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk plus more for brushing
- Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut the butter in using a fork or pastry tool.
- Stir in the butternut squash, spinach and feta.
- Stir in the buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- Form 10-12 small dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet, 1.5-2 inches in diameter.
- Brush the tops with additional buttermilk.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until tops are golden and scones are baked through.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes
Products used in this recipe:
More savory scone recipes:
- Savory Scones with Gruyere, Proscuitto and Green Onions from Kitchen Confidante
- Jalapeno Cheddar Scones from Pioneer Woman
- Savory Zucchini, Asiago and Tomato Scones from SkinnyTaste