How to make buttermilk (from milk!). Save yourself a trip to the grocery store with this 10 minute trick!
Need buttermilk but don't want to run to the store? I've got you covered with this ten minute trick. All you need are two simple ingredients: milk and lemon juice.
I love the flavor and texture that buttermilk brings to recipes...these crispy buttermilk waffles get a nice tangy flavor, and I love using it in pancakes as well.
But buttermilk is not an ingredient I pick up from the store all the time, so when I find myself needing it in a pinch, I use this trick!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Why I love this buttermilk 'hack'
- I can still get that tangy buttermilk flavor in my baking without needing to run to the store
- it takes two ingredients (that we pretty much always have on hand) and ten minutes
What is buttermilk?
Buttermilk is the liquid leftover after churning butter. Thanks to the bacterial culture in the buttermilk, it takes on a tangy, sour flavor.
Some people suggest drinking it, since it's healthy but it is definitely not a flavor I enjoy straight up. Instead I like to use buttermilk in my baking, as it adds such a great flavor dimension...tangy that goes so well with sweet.
Here are some recipes that you can use buttermilk in (swap buttermilk for regular or almond milk when necessary):
- Muffins- Healthy Blueberry Muffins, Strawberry Apple Crumble Muffins, Lemon Chia Yogurt Muffins
- Quick Breads- Healthy Zucchini Bread, Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- Pancakes- Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe, Sheet Pan Protein Pancake
- Marinade- swap it for yogurt in this Greek Yogurt Chicken with Saffron & Garlic or this Curry Yogurt Chicken Marinade
- Mashed Potatoes- swap for milk in these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes or this Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower
Making buttermilk from milk
If you want to make cultured buttermilk, you are going to want to check out this post from Serious Eats! If you are interested in a quick substitution for real buttermilk, you are in the right place.
- Combine 1 cup of milk with 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice.
- Stir up, then let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Use it right away or refrigerate for a week.
Tips & equipment
- I use a pint-sized jar and organic lemon juice
- you can swap for vinegar (white vinegar or apple cider vinegar) in a pinch but I prefer the flavor of the lemon
- Looking for more how to posts? Check out How To Eat A Pomegranate, How to Bake a Sweet Potato, and How to Cook Perfect Fluffy Rice
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
How to Make Buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- Stir together milk and lemon juice.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes. Milk will become curdled.
- Use in your baking, pancakes, mashed potatoes or other recipes.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment